• Page:

TOPIC:

Hats and badges, 88the Welsh Imperial Yeomanry 6 years 7 months ago #55386

• chebba
  • chebba's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 4
Please can anyone tell me if, when training before going to South Africa, personnel of the 88th Welsh Imperial Yeomanry would have worn peaked hats? I am trying to date a postcard of a mounted training camp for the Montgomeryshire Imperial Yeomanry. The 88th Welsh Imperial and the 89th Montgomeryshire Imperial usually trained together ahead of shipping out to SA on the SS Norman in 1901. The image I am looking at shows pretty much everyone in a peaked hat and sporting a thick moustache, whereas a lot of photo's in later years, and certainly WW1, seem to indicate a change of fashion, with many more young men being clean shaven. I know the 88th was disbanded not long after the Boer War, but as the Yeomanry appears to have continued before becoming part of the RWF, I am confused!

Another query concerns the badges of the 88th and 89th IY. Would the cap and sweetheart badge for the 88th Welsh Imperial Yeomanry have been the same as the that of the 89th MIY, the Montgomeryshires sponsoring the 88th? If so, what insignia would the 88th have had which would have identified them separately from the 89th, please?

Thank you. As a footnote matter of interest, I last week found the grave of my G Grandfather, Sgt Francis Morris, of the 88th Welsh IY. I am still looking for his medals, but was honoured to visit his grave in Ruabon, probably the first person to visit it since his widow was buried with him in 1940. Tragically, 7 months after returning from SA, he was killed in a nasty mining accident at the Wynnstay Colliery. His service number was 30704 and, by weird coincidence, his father, Private Thomas Morris, had a service number of 307 during his 26 years service with the Coldstream Guards from 1817-1842. Exciting discoveries for me just now.

Thank you again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hats and badges, 88the Welsh Imperial Yeomanry 6 years 7 months ago #55387

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Chebba
Although I cannot help with your enquiries, I wish you good luck in your search for answers. It is always good to read of the new generation in search of their ancestors and honouring them.
Regards
Brett

Hats and badges, 88the Welsh Imperial Yeomanry 6 years 7 months ago #55392

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Morning Chebba.....

I looked in my one and only book on dress regulations and am afraid that I was unable to find anything sorry but good luck.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Hats and badges, 88the Welsh Imperial Yeomanry 6 years 7 months ago #55412

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Hello Chebba

Can you post the image please?

Thanks
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Hats and badges, 88the Welsh Imperial Yeomanry 6 years 7 months ago #55414

• chebba
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you, Brett. I'm not so sure about a 'new generation' as I am in my '60's, but as I only found my father's birth family in March, my being pitched into a world of revelations is indisputably making me a late starter! I am sure I'll have more queries as time goes on.

Regards...

Josephine

Hats and badges, 88the Welsh Imperial Yeomanry 6 years 7 months ago #55415

• chebba
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you, Mike.

As advised by the archivists at the Wrexham Museum, I have written to the RWF at Carnaervon in order to ask if they have any information about the 88th Welsh Imperial Yeomanry. I am told that the 88th records, memorabilia etc were once held by the RWF Museum but, when MOD needed the rooms for something, it was all returned to Wrexham Museum. Unfortunately, it is not immediately available for perusal; a request has to be made to the RWF archivists and, if they (eventually) advise that certain things which would be of interest to me are held at Wrexham, I can make an appointment with the latter and, for a £30 fee, drive back over there and view it all. In particular, I hope to find a photograph as I have no images of my G Grandfather at all. I also hope that there may be a photograph of the presentation of the medals to the 9th Battalion at Powys Castle in early September 1902. Lord Kitchener presented the medals but the tribute medals were presented by Sir Watkins Wynn's daughter.

The search goes on!

Thank you again.

Jo

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.415 seconds