Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

O. A. E. GREEN, 4 IY - Carved Stock Lee Enfield Carbine and Some Dates 6 years 9 months ago #54536

• Baden Powell
  • Baden Powell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 34
I have saved this Carbine to use as my 100th Post. My dear wife of almost 60 years gave it to me in 1985 as a gift on our 28th Anniversary. It is my Treasure.

The butt stock is covered with carved names of battles, locations and Generals names. Hopefully they are readable.

The stock wrist and lower front wood are very modified. Trooper Green must have spent most of his off duty time whittling away. The attached Museum tag notes that Greens nephew, W. P. Colley sent the Carbine to HAC.

My wife purchased this Carbine at a Baltimore Gun Show that a group of fellow collectors from Houston attended. The seller was a US Govt employee ( read CIA Analyst ) who brought it back. I ever found out how he obtained it.

Thanks to all Forum Members for the pure pleasure this site brings to me.
James Suchma aka Baden Powell
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

O. A. E. GREEN, 4 IY - Carved Stock Lee Enfield Carbine and Some Dates 6 years 9 months ago #54537

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Fantastic Piece you should be very proud....... And I am very envious of both the carbine and your beautiful wife........

Mike

Oh yes Congrat's on 100......
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

O. A. E. GREEN, 4 IY - Carved Stock Lee Enfield Carbine and Some Dates 6 years 9 months ago #54538

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1536
BP
A memorable post for a memorable number of posts!
My CD of the IY tells us that O.A.E. Green was indeed Lt. Osborne Albert Green of 106th Coy., 4th I.Y. BBM tells us that the 106th Coy was from Staffordshire.
It would be really great if you could give some close-ups of the names/places carved on the butt. It is a bit had to tell from your pics. The brass butt disc might tell us more about its origin.
You are very fortunate to have such a thoughtful wife and such a great item "which was there"!
Best regards
IL.

O. A. E. GREEN, 4 IY - Carved Stock Lee Enfield Carbine and Some Dates 6 years 9 months ago #54539

• LinneyI
BP
A little update. Your Lt. O.A.E.Green's QSA medal bore the clasps "CC" and "Transvaal" and was issued 18/12/02. (WO 100/121). The roll page indicates he was also entitled to a KSA.
Regards
IL.

O. A. E. GREEN, 4 IY - Carved Stock Lee Enfield Carbine and Some Dates 6 years 9 months ago #54540

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
BP
Thank you for a very interesting post. I know that carvings on Boer rifles were not unusual, but theirs was a rather casual and informal army. I wonder if such 'adornments' were even allowed by the British? Perhaps the men of the IY were more like the Boers in spirit, and so they were less likely to confirm to the discipline of the regular army?
Regards
Brett

O. A. E. GREEN, 4 IY - Carved Stock Lee Enfield Carbine and Some Dates 6 years 9 months ago #54542

• LinneyI
Brett
I am quite sure that any enlisted British soldier who decorated his own issue rifle or carbine with carvings, etc, would have met with a jaundiced eye by his immediate superior and most likely a charge of defacing Government property (and whatever other charges "they" could think up, plus Conduct to the Prejudice). However, a demonstrably re-captured rifle/carbine could be regarded as Spoils of War in those far off days and viewed more leniently. Especially if an officer was involved.
I have seen a couple of MLEs bearing apparent IY markings and embellished with the initials of the bringer back. I illustrated one such some time ago; it was associated with QM.Sgt. Sherlock of the VMR. Captured Boer longarms were, of course, often inscribed as a trophy. Quite a number of those in OZ.
Best regards
IL.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.713 seconds