Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

a fascinating Lumsden's Horse item... 8 years 7 months ago #43173

• MarkMcM
  • MarkMcM's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
Here's a neat piece I picked up a while back...

It's a nickel silver hunt spur of the type that would have been ubiquitous in the late Victorian period. Distinguishing characteristics are the hand engraving around the inside of the heal band:

“ADR Lumsdens Horse No 70” “SOUTH AFRICA 1900”.

ADR seemingly being the initials of the owner, a turn to the index of 'The History Of Lumsden's Horse' results in one match:

Trooper Arnold Daniell Radford.

Radford is mentioned several times in the text. In one engagement, Radford's horse was hit twice and in another his detached company of 14 was cut off and surrounded by Boers:

“All the men with Lieutenant Crane behaved very well. Two non-commissioned officers and eleven troopers went with him to hold the isolated kopje on the right flank. Of this gallant party of fourteen, three were killed, four were wounded and taken prisoners, four escaped with their clothes riddled with bullet-holes but otherwise un-hurt; one, Corporal Firth, could have escaped, but preferred to remain with his wounded officer, to bind up his wounds if possible, to go with him into captivity perhaps, to share death with him if need be. Troopers Reginald MacDonald and Leslie Gwatkin Williams also performed deeds of splendid self-sacrifice. Of those who escaped, Sergeant-Major Marsham (wounded), Bugler McKenzie, Sergeant Walker, Lance-Sergeant J. S. Elliott (wounded), and Trooper Radford, whose parting shot while he sat in the saddle brought a Boer down, are deserving of the highest praise for the way in which they stuck to the led horses and rode off with them under heavy fire.” (bold italics added)

Next stop, PRO Kew where a search of the Queen's South Africa medal roll for Lumsden's Horse reveals A. D. Radford listed as a Trooper with the regimental number of 70.

The roll of A Company, No 3 Section, Lumsden's Horse finds Trooper Radford listed as:

"Arnold Daniell Radford - Gentleman, Rose Cottage, Sonada, Darjeeling"

(being able to list 'Gentleman' as my official job title is something I aspire to, btw).

Its interesting to note that under close examination, “SOUTH AFRICA 1900” is clearly engraved in a slightly different style and by a different hand - suggesting that it was added later. Perhaps as a tribute to Radford's service there.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

a fascinating Lumsden's Horse item... 8 years 7 months ago #43177

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Mark
An excellent relic of an interesting regiment, and a great story to go with it. Thank you for sharing it.
Regards
Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: MarkMcM

a fascinating Lumsden's Horse item... 8 years 7 months ago #43179

• mike rowan
  • Thank you received: 88
Mark
That is almost as good as a medal. What a fine story. Well done !
Regards
Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: MarkMcM

a fascinating Lumsden's Horse item... 8 years 7 months ago #43182

• MarkMcM
Hello Mike,

Yes, I'll be the first to admit that medals are great, no question about it. But at the end of the day they represent accomplishment or service and their issue came about after (in some cases, long after) the event. Sometimes, I would rather own the item that a soldier used to earn the medal - as in this case, the spur was most likely being worn at the action quoted. It kind of takes on a magic of it's own at that point. :)

a fascinating Lumsden's Horse item... 8 years 7 months ago #43183

• MarkMcM

Brett Hendey wrote: Mark
An excellent relic of an interesting regiment, and a great story to go with it. Thank you for sharing it.
Regards
Brett

my pleasure, Brett!

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.669 seconds