TOPIC:

Canadian Stetson Named to 3CMR 9 years 1 month ago #25190

• jholl72
  • jholl72's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum and found it doing some research on this stetson I acquired. Thought I would share it here. Really happy to add this named stetson to my collection. In fact it is double named, R Tobin on the inside of the sweatband and F Jacques on the inside of the cap itself. Both men served with the 3rd Canadian Mounted Rifles and had the same previous military history.
Interesting that other names of men they served with have been written on the brim.
The cap badge is not official for the stetson as far as I know but I've found a picture with several different badges attached in various locations to CMR units in the Boer war. The badge has certainly been on the cap for a long time as it has taken on the form of the cap.
I have done the research and have Jacques service file and Tobins.

The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, JerryBB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Canadian Stetson Named to 3CMR 9 years 1 month ago #25191

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Hi Jeff.....

Welcome to the forum......

So it finally arrived EH!!!!!..... Fantastic Stetson...... The badge is correct and yes is worn in different locations on the hat..... The most common place I have seen is a couple of holes in the cap band but to me that would be uncomfortable to wear I would think......

I have seen the inside of a BW Jacket to the Strathcona's that has the signatures and names of all the members of his troop...... This is similar to the names on the brim of the Stetson......

The thing that surprises me is 2 Stetsons show up in one year when I have not seen any in ages...... Two different units of course.....

Well Done Jeff......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Canadian Stetson Named to 3CMR 9 years 1 month ago #25192

• QSAMIKE
Hi Jeff.......

Found this picture of Lieut. Robert Gilmore Edward Leckie.....

Mike

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Canadian Stetson Named to 3CMR 9 years 1 month ago #25193

• jholl72
  • jholl72's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Mike,
It was your posting your stetson that led me here!
Yes it finally arrived! I am very happy to finally have it in hand. Thanks for your input Mike before the purchase...I found it difficult to find information, much appreciated!
The pic below I find very interesting as it shows several different badges in different spots on the stetson. I'm going to see if the seller can provide me with some more information about how the cap was obtained for interest sake.

This is the link to the original pic, it is much larger and you can zoom in. The fella in the front row, second from the left looks to have a shoulder title on his stetson. Front row other end there is a fellow wearing the same general service badge as mine in the same location.  Also interesting to note the variation in hat bands.....the picture is titled 2nd CMR prior to departure for the Boer War, would this amount of variation be allowed prior to departure. I kinda thought it was on return from the war when rules were relaxed a little.
Also curious if anyone can tell me what medallion they are wearing on their left chest?
searcharchives.vancouver.ca/2nd-canadian...parture-for-boer-war

Canadian Stetson Named to 3CMR 9 years 1 month ago #25194

• QSAMIKE
Hi Jeff......

It is odd that this photo is in Vancouver Archives because the picture was taken in Toronto......

The medal that they are wearing on the right hand side is the City of Toronto Welcome Home Medal......

This shows up on our favorite auction site both named and un-named..... Note that the named ones were the actual medals issued to the troops coming home where the un-named ones were sold to the general public......

Mike

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Canadian Stetson Named to 3CMR 9 years 1 month ago #25195

• QSAMIKE
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.671 seconds