Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

ABW carbines - from the Old Collection 9 years 6 months ago #22508

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1527
Forum members
Recently I discovered a bundle of pics taken in the late 70's - early 80's; relating to the collection of ABW longarms held by myself at that time. I put them on my little SONY and submit them for viewing interest.
The uppermost carbine is a Lee Metford dated 1895 and bearing the regimental mark for the 5th Lancers on the butt disc.
The lower carbine is a Boer M93 made by Lowe and with Trophy carving on the RHS of the butt.

The second pic shows a larger image of the M93 carbine's trophy marking. This is self explanatory. Purists please note: the saddle ring is shown fitted to the LHS of the butt - as it came when I found the carbine covered in grime and dust back in 1972! It would have been most uncomfortable to fire the carbine with the saddle ring so affixed! Easy to switch it to the other side of the butt, however.

Regards to all interested
IL.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ABW carbines - from the Old Collection 9 years 6 months ago #22512

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Very interesting, Ian. Thank you for showing the pics. Did you have any pangs when you parted from these rifles?

Regards
Brett

ABW carbines - from the Old Collection 9 years 6 months ago #22514

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1527
Brett
Thanks for the response. Yes, I did have some considerable pangs. However, the circumstances were difficult and the whole exercise of assembling a specific collection of ABW longarms (and, in a couple of cases, being able to use the principal longarms of the protagonists on the range) was worthwhile. I don't know if other members realise it; but OZ was and probably still is the home of more Boer Mausers than almost anywhere else. Back in the 50's and 60's, they were very common - but most did not have Boer ownership or trophy marks.
Best regards
IL

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.453 seconds