Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

HELP NEEDED IN IDENTIFYING UNIFORM 9 years 9 months ago #21239

• Richardcharles
  • Richardcharles's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello, Just starting to look into my great grandfather, he served as private. He brought back from Africa a tribal shield, which I proudly have hanging in living room. He lived in Northamptonshire and the uniform fits that regiment. My question is I haven't been able to explain the ribbon on his cap. Does anyone know anything about it?

Thanks!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

HELP NEEDED IN IDENTIFYING UNIFORM 9 years 9 months ago #21240

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hi Richardcharles,

And welcome to the forum.
I am sure one of our members can help, I have added your pic so it is easier to see, hope you don't mind.

Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richardcharles

HELP NEEDED IN IDENTIFYING UNIFORM 9 years 9 months ago #21241

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1536
Richardcharles
Nice pic of your GGF; I had a QSA/KSA pair to the Northhamptons a long while ago and they were a good unit. Now to the ribbons hanging down from his headgear. The hat is a glengarry and it was worn as a Field Service cap fromm the 1870's or before until nearly 1900. I always understood that the ribbons were removed for active service because, during the Afghan War 1878 to 1880, the ribbons were frozen by the icy winds and cut the faces/cheeks of the lads. I suppose they might have been retained for home service.
I should say that I am not an expert on uniforms (or anything, really) and my dates might be a bit out. Just now I looked for a reference on the removal of the glengarry ribbons - and could not find it!
Hope this helps a bit
IL.

HELP NEEDED IN IDENTIFYING UNIFORM 9 years 9 months ago #21242

• Richardcharles
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi, That's very helpful, Thanks!

HELP NEEDED IN IDENTIFYING REGIMENT 9 years 9 months ago #21248

• Richardcharles
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi to all,
I have been on the forces war records site and there is no record for him in Northamptonshire reg. Does that mean then he definitely wasn't in that regiment or just that they do not have that record? Doubtful he was in Middlesex, Lincolnshire or Devon (of that uniform. Do you know of others?). Not looking good for my research.

HELP NEEDED IN IDENTIFYING UNIFORM 9 years 9 months ago #21251

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
The glengarry was replaced by the FS Cap in all the county infantry regiments well before the Anglo Boer War, from 1896 to 1898, except the Scottish regiments, who continued to wear them, so this particular photo is indeed, pre war.
The glengarry always had a brace of ribbons!

Richardcharles wrote: Hello, Just starting to look into my great grandfather, he served as private. He brought back from Africa a tribal shield, which I proudly have hanging in living room. He lived in Northamptonshire and the uniform fits that regiment. My question is I haven't been able to explain the ribbon on his cap. Does anyone know anything about it?

Thanks!

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.506 seconds