Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Paris International Exhibition 1900 - Unique Medallion 10 years 2 months ago #18092

• Anthony Govender
  • Anthony Govender's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 19
Hello Everyone

Just added this medallion to my collection. The medallion commemorates the Transvaal's exhibit at the then biggest International Exhibition in Paris. Listed as follows:

Hern: 56
Size: 78mm X 65mm
Metal: Silver
Edge: Smooth
Artist: E Beetz
Mintage: Given to each committee member

Herns comments: A museum piece and unlikely to be offered for sale. According to Hern, this medallion has never surfaced or been offered for sale.

In the South African journal called De Numis of 1971, Dr Felix Machanik wrote an article called the Kruger Effigy. He writes stipulating artist Elisa Beetz as being a Dutch born wife of Alexandre Louis Charpentier a sculptress and medalist. Her husband was also a well known medalist but did not produce any Kruger Medallions. Elisa Beetz, however, was well know for a plaque in silver 78mm in height and 65mm in width, with a curved top. An unknown specimen is in the Transvaal Museum. This plaque was produced in 1900 to commemorate the Transvaal Exhibit at the Paris International Exhibition. President Kruger visited the Exhibition and was probably presented with this medallion.

My specimen is probably one of the committee members ones. How many committee members were there.

Regards
Anthony Govender
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Paris International Exhibition 1900 - Unique Medallion 10 years 2 months ago #18096

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Anthony

That must be amongst the stars in your collection! Thank you for showing it.

Regards
Brett

Paris International Exhibition 1900 - Unique Medallion 10 years 2 months ago #18097

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi Anthony

In the words of my medallic mentor, the late Dr Frank Mitchell: "That I could covet"!

Congratulations : this has eluded me for many years.

Henk

Paris International Exhibition 1900 - Unique Medallion 10 years 2 months ago #18121

• Anthony Govender
  • Anthony Govender's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 19
Thank you Brett/Henk

The negotiation was tough but in the end worth the bullet I had to bite to get it. I am just glad to have it in my hand.

Regards
Anthony Govender

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.542 seconds