Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medallion - Silver Delagoa Bay Railway (NAMED) Beelaerts Van Blokland 11 years 7 months ago #5140

• Anthony Govender
  • Anthony Govender's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 19
Hello Everyone

Here is another medallion from my collection of which I was very please to get. The medallion is the Silver Medallion issued to commemorate The Opening Of The Delagoa Bay Railway Line in 1895 between Mozambique and Pretoria. The silver medallion was given to dignitaries or important people connected to the Railway Line.

This particular medallion is officially impressed similar to QSA naming and was named to one Jhr G.I.Jh Beelaerts Van Blokland. The medallion was personally presented to Van Blokland by President Paul Kruger during the festivities of the Opening of the Railway Line on 8-10 July 1895. The medallion is in choice condition displaying PROOF finishes and beautifully toned. A real eye appeal medallion.

Beelaerts Van Blokland was the ZAR Ambassador to the Netherlands at the time and was instrumental in the negotiations of the railway line.

REF: Hern 16
Diameter: 44mm
Metal: Silver
Artist: J.P.M Menger
Mintage: 50

Regards
Anthony Govender

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Medallion - Silver Delagoa Bay Railway (NAMED) Beelaerts Van Blokland 11 years 7 months ago #5153

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Hi Anthony

Another star item from your collection! The quality of this one is superb and it has great historical significance, so I can understand why you are pleased with it.

Regards
Brett

Re: Medallion - Silver Delagoa Bay Railway (NAMED) Beelaerts Van Blokland 11 years 6 months ago #5247

• Anthony Govender
I have added a Bronze specimen of the medallion. This is the Single Flange variety

Anthony Govender

Attachment delagoaBayBronzeDFO.jpg not found

Attachment delagoaBayBronzeDFR.jpg not found

Attachments:

Re: Medallion - Silver Delagoa Bay Railway (NAMED) Beelaerts Van Blokland 11 years 6 months ago #5255

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
I share Brett's admiration. The silver medal is stunning!
Dr David Biggins

Re: Medallion - Silver Delagoa Bay Railway (NAMED) Beelaerts Van Blokland 11 years 6 months ago #5324

• Anthony Govender
I also have Van Bloklands Exhibition Medal of 1894. As soon as I locate it I will upload photos

Anthony Govender

Re: Medallion - Silver Delagoa Bay Railway (NAMED) Beelaerts Van Blokland 11 years 6 months ago #5356

• Anthony Govender
I have just uploaded a picture of an interesting item which I have. It is a silver pocket watch that was given to dignitaries to commemorate the Opening Of The Delagoa Bay Railway line. It is date 1895 and is engraved at the back.

Anthony Govender

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.723 seconds