Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medallion - Nilsson Plaque 1900 In Solid Silver (1 of 4) 10 years 2 months ago #18008

• Anthony Govender
  • Anthony Govender's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi Ryan

I agree with you on some silver items not having hallmarks, however this Medallion was made in France and the Hall Mark used is the French one for the Boars Head used during that period.

The beauty about this medsallion is that it was made in one week and one was presented to Kruger in Dijon. From all the silver plated ones I have seen in private collections and the one in the Cultural History Museum, now known as the Ditsong museum,all the weights correspond to what Henk has posted and none have any hallmarking.

My silver specimen weighs 44.0g

Regards
Anthony

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medallion - Nilsson Plaque 1900 In Solid Silver (1 of 4) 10 years 2 months ago #18009

• Anthony Govender
  • Anthony Govender's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi Mike

Yes, this website is a tremendous amount of work done by Prof Michael Laidlaw in trying to document all of South Africa's medals online.

The silver specimen he lists in the website, comes from my collection and Micheal was instrumental in also performing the Archimedes test that proved the medallion is finer than .900 probably .950. This is before we found the French Hallmark on the rim of the medallion

Regards
Anthony

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.339 seconds