Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

IBEKA 1 year 3 months ago #88248

Hello all,

I'm looking for a Johan Fredrich Janssen killed at IBEKA in 1877. It seems he was a volunteer at the time of death.

Is this in the Eastern Cape? Where would I get service records?

Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

IBEKA 1 year 3 months ago #88256

• Arthur R
  • Thank you received: 108
Ibeka (now spelled 'Ibika') is indeed in the Eastern Cape, not far from Butterworth. Back in 1877, it was in the area known as 'Fingoland'. Ibeka was used as a military base during the war, and was the scene of a battle in September 1877.

The availability of Janssens' records, if any, would depend on which unit he was in. If he was a volunteer, then you'd need to find out which unit. As there was no centralised defence administration at that time, the records were kept by the units. If the unit still exists, it may have records. If it no longer exists, there's a small possibility that records can be found in the Archives in Cape Town.

If, however, he was in the Frontier Armed & Mounted Police, there may be something among the FAMP records in the Archives.
Regards
Arthur

IBEKA 1 year 3 months ago #88258

• Adrian123456
  • Thank you received: 245
Hi
I’ve looked through a roll of casualties for 1834-1878, titled “The Military Casualties of South Africa Vol 1 , 1834-1878” by Terry Sole.
I cannot find Janssen in any unit for 1877 or at all.

A death file is available at the National Archives Cspe Town , showing he died around 1882.

Regards
Adrian
Attachments:

IBEKA 1 year 3 months ago #88259

Hi Adrian,

The death notice was made in 1882, but the details on the death certificate state April 1877.

See attachment
Attachments:

IBEKA 1 year 3 months ago #88261

• Arthur R
  • Thank you received: 108
The April 1877 date doesn't fit : the war began in September 1877. Perhaps he died in April 1878.
Regards
Arthur

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.466 seconds