Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Boer War 1899-1902 medal and Kerchief belonging to Jesse McClure Toronto Canada 2 years 7 months ago #78287

• momthatruns
  • momthatruns's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,

My mother recently passed away and we found a long purple medallion box containing a medal and commemorative kerchief as we were going through her belongings.

These items photograph below belonged to my grandmother who was Jessie McClure b:1899 and we assume it was given to her by her father (aka:Papa) James McClure b: Jul.21, 1871 London, Ontario. Based on these findings he fought in The Second Boer War in South Africa 1899-1902.

We have been in touch with the Canadian War Museum, and they were able to give us information on the medal, but the kerchief is rare and they could not find much information on it, other the names of the soldiers on it. I’m wondering if you could help us. We are considering donating to the Canadian War Museum, as we know all of these items are rare. Could you help us find some information on the kerchief , medal and gift box?
Thank you
Beverley
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Boer War 1899-1902 medal and Kerchief belonging to Jesse McClure Toronto Canada 2 years 7 months ago #78288

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Beverley
Welcome to the Forum. The writing on the hankerchief reads "....March 8 1900 from her papa". The image shown appears to show Trumpeter Shurlock of the 9th Lancers at Elandslaagte - a popular image from the Boer War. Does the brooch with the lady's portrait relate to your family? I am sure that Mike will be interested to see your post and will be able to assist with an identification.
Regards
IL.

Boer War 1899-1902 medal and Kerchief belonging to Jesse McClure Toronto Canada 2 years 7 months ago #78289

• momthatruns
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi there,

Thank you your quick response. Actually its not a brooch, it is the top of the medalian box that we assume that it came with the kerchief. I posted a picture of the top of the box and the bottom.

Thanks for any help
Beverley

Boer War 1899-1902 medal and Kerchief belonging to Jesse McClure Toronto Canada 2 years 7 months ago #78291

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Morning Beverly

First the handkerchief..... These were made and sold by the 100's and there are many different kinds..... I have one that is in Paper and also in Cloth..... These were made to be used yet some were saved as souvenirs.... In some cases they were sold to raise funds for the widows and orphans of the men lost during the war.....

Second the medal..... This looks from the photos to be the white metal version of the 1900 City of Toronto Welcome Home Medal..... This is a copy of the Silver Medal that was made and issued to returning troops who had served in South Africa..... All the silver medals were named on the edge with the name, rank and regiment of the returning soldier..... The nice thing is you have a small piece of the original ribbon..... These and Bronze versions ere sold to the general public and a percentage of the funds were giver to the returned troops.....

Hope that this is of some help.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Boer War 1899-1902 medal and Kerchief belonging to Jesse McClure Toronto Canada 2 years 7 months ago #78292

• momthatruns
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks for you help Mike,

I am also going to contact the The Queen's Own Rifles of Canada Museum in Toronto. Do you think they have any value and should I be donating them to the musems?

Thanks again for your help.

Beverley

Boer War 1899-1902 medal and Kerchief belonging to Jesse McClure Toronto Canada 2 years 7 months ago #78293

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879

momthatruns wrote: Thanks for you help Mike,

I am also going to contact the The Queen's Own Rifles of Canada Museum in Toronto. Do you think they have any value and should I be donating them to the musems?

Thanks again for your help.

Beverley

Beverly......

Yes they do have some value but we do not give that out here on this forum as a rule.... I am sure that the QOR Museum would be very happy to have them..... I checked the Canadian Medal Rolls including the South African Constabulary and the Canadian Scouts and am sorry but could not find a J. McClure or Mc Clure.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.535 seconds