Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

PRUDHOE (Northumberland) -- 1901 Tribute Medal Named to "B. LAWS" 3 years 8 months ago #71184

• Colonel.By
  • Colonel.By's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 4
The illustrated Tribute Medal has the following characteristics: Height 34 mm, Mass 9.8 gm, made of 9 Karat Gold hallmarked Birmingham 1901.

Obverse: Engraved Monogramme "B L".

Reverse: Engraved " PRUDHOE ENGLAND / Presented to / B. LAWS / FOR HIS SERVICES / IN SOUTH AFRICA / on behalf of his / NATIVE COUNTRY " The town of Prudhoe is midway between Newcastle and Hexham.

Unfortunately, the recipient's first name and regiment are not indicated on the medal. I purchased this medal in Ottawa (Canada) about 15 years ago, at which time I was unable to find out anything about "B. Laws". However, more recently, I have identified BURNETT LAWS as being a possible recipient. Burnett Laws was born at PRUDHOE in 1877, he immigrated to Canada in 1897 and joined the NWMP in 1899. He enlisted in the Canadian Mounted Rifles on 1 Jan. 1900 and served in South Africa until 14 Jan. 1901, following which he returned to Canada. He later served with the Canadian Mounted Rifles in WWI and rose through the ranks to Lt-Col in 1918. His awards were: DSO, QSA (4 Bars), WWI Trio, French Croix-de-Guerre, MID (x2). He died in 1947 and is buried at Llyodminster, Saskatchewan.

I suspect that B. LAWS and BURNETT LAWS are one and the same person although this is based entirely on circumstantial evidence. The wording on the medal "on behalf of his NATIVE COUNTRY" (England) lends credence to this assertion because the term "NATIVE COUNTRY" is invariably reserved for someone who is living outside the country of their birth (Canada in this case).

I was wondering if any members can throw further light on this matter.

With many thanks.
Graham H. Neale (OMRS No. 2329)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

PRUDHOE (Northumberland) -- 1901 Tribute Medal Named to "B. LAWS" 3 years 8 months ago #71185

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Afternoon Graham...…
First let me say welcome to the forum...…
Beautiful piece and I would concur with the history for Burnett Laws.....
Can I have permission to copy your pictures, not for publication but I try to keep a copy of all Tribute Medals that I can.....

Mile
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colonel.By

PRUDHOE (Northumberland) -- 1901 Tribute Medal Named to "B. LAWS" 3 years 8 months ago #71189

• Colonel.By
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello Mike,

Many thanks for responding and for welcoming me to the forum. Please feel free to copy my pictures, and to use them in any way you wish.

Best wishes - Graham
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE

PRUDHOE (Northumberland) -- 1901 Tribute Medal Named to "B. LAWS" 2 years 8 months ago #78000

• Neville_C
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1991
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colonel.By

PRUDHOE (Northumberland) -- 1901 Tribute Medal Named to "B. LAWS" 2 years 8 months ago #78007

• Colonel.By
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
NEVILLE_C wrote:

PRUDHOE
County: Northumberland
Issued on: Return
Date of presentation: 22/05/1901
Number issued: 7
Gold medals, to:
Volunteer Active Service Company, 1st Bn. Northumberland Fusiliers ["H" Company, 1st V.B.N.F.] –
7611 Private Matthew Sibbit DAVIDSON
7610 Private Charles Walter HOWLETT
7613 Private Frederick MADDISON
7612 Private M.L. TWEDDLE [Tweedle] (died, Kroonstad [Bloemfontein], 29/05/1900 - did his family receive a medal?)
7609 Private James Tennant WANLESS
7681 Drummer [Private] John George WARD (absent - in S. Africa)
Presentation made in the Drill Hall, Prudhoe.
A seventh medal was presented or forwarded to:
Canadian Mounted Rifles –
181 Private Burnett LAWS (who had emigrated to Canada)

Wow, what a wonderful surprise to receive your verification of the Gold Tribute Medal award to (Colonel) Burnett Laws! I truly appreciate your efforts in searching contemporary local newspapers in order to unambiguously confirm that the medal recipient "B. LAWS" was indeed one and the same man as the BURNETT LAWS who emigrated from Prudhoe to Canada, enlisted in the NWMP, and then served in South Africa with the Canadian Mounted Rifles. As noted in my original post, circumstantial evidence strongly supported that likelihood but I myself was unable to prove it beyond all doubt.

Thank you again, and very best wishes.

Graham Neale

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.493 seconds