Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tribute medal - Southall Middx - Information gratefully received! 4 years 2 months ago #67766

• phil jarvis
  • phil jarvis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi. This I think was awarded to my great grandfather. Thought you might be interested to see. I would be interested if anybody has information as this is all I have!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, BereniceUK, Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tribute medal - Southall Middx - Information gratefully received! 4 years 2 months ago #67767

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507
Phil,

A very nice item.

There are two F Ormes on the medal rolls:

5842 Rifleman, 5th Rifle Brigade
8154 Private Frederick, Coldstream Guards. There are papers for this man. From Bordesley, Warwickshire

The word Reservist on the piece may indicate he was in the 5th Rifle Brigade which was (I think) a reserve battalion.
Dr David Biggins

Tribute medal - Southall Middx - Information gratefully received! 4 years 2 months ago #67774

• phil jarvis
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks! I have a family tree somewhere so I will dig it out to see if I can identify his first name, although I guess they both are likely to have been called Fred!. I dont recognise Warwickshire as an area that my family were based in, is that where the regiment might have been based?

Thanks again

Tribute medal - Southall Middx - Information gratefully received! 4 years 2 months ago #67775

• phil jarvis
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi again!
Just found a birth certificate for Frederick Orme born 10.06.1872, and reference to him being in Coldstream Guards. The birth cert is from Aston Birmingham and there is a later mariiage cert from Hackney which I guess then links him to Southall area. How would I be able to gain sight of the records for Frederick? Its nice that finding something in a box of tie pins sets you off on a search through family history!

Cheers

Tribute medal - Southall Middx - Information gratefully received! 4 years 2 months ago #67776

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507
Tim,

That's a great find!

The service papers for Frederick are accessible for free at the National Archives in London or at a cost, online at FindMyPast.

Good luck!
David
Dr David Biggins

Tribute medal - Southall Middx - Information gratefully received! 2 years 7 months ago #78051

• Neville_C
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1990

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.557 seconds