• Page:

TOPIC:

Bideford Tribute Medal 5 years 2 months ago #62311

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4511
A hitherto unrecorded Bideford Tribute Medal. My thanks to Harry Staff for this information.

This example awarded to 5624. Pte. W. H. Turner, Volunteer Co, Devon Regiment.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bideford Tribute Medal 5 years 2 months ago #62359

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2300
In addition to the medals, there was also a parchment address, which was presented to the Volunteers as a group.

"The reception on Monday evening of the returning Bideford Volunteers who came forward so readily in January, 1901, to fight for their country was very enthusiastic. The men - Captain W. B. Dart, Bideford; Private J. Fulford, 21, Honestone-street, Bideford; Private J. Shaxon, Cross-street, Northam, Bideford; Private S. Braund, 3, Cross-street, Northam, Bideford; Private W. H. Turner, 3, Prospect-place, Instow, Bideford; the following had previously returned home on sick furlough, Private S. Shortridge, Barnstaple-road, Bideford; Private E. Lee, 60, Meddon-street, Bideford; and Private W. Tucker, East-the-Water, Bideford...….

…….After "God save the King" had been played by the Band, the Town Clerk, on behalf of the borough, the following address written on parchment, and bearing the borough seal, to Captain Dart and his men: -
"To Captain Dart, Privates Fulford, Braund, Lee, Shortridge, Shaxon, Turner, and Tucker, members of the Volunteer Active Service Company. On behalf of the ancient borough of Bideford it affords me great pleasure to welcome you on your return from active service in South Africa. It was with pardonable pride that, in common with others whom I have the honour to represent, I witnessed the outbursts of patriotism which led you to volunteer for the arduous and dangerous duties of the War in South Africa. We have from day to day followed the developments of the campaign in which you were engaged, and have rejoiced to know that you have maintained the best traditions of valour for which the men of Devon have ever justly been famed. We trust that on your return to civic life you will continue to be the subject of the same good fortune which hitherto has smiled upon you."
The Mayor, in handing the address to Captain Dart, on behalf of the active service men, said he hoped they would hang it in their Drill Hall...……

……….The active service contingent, with the two Yeomen who have been invalided home (Troopers King and Prouse), will be entertained to dinner by the Mayor at the Music Hall to-morrow evening, in fulfilment of his promise when the Volunteers left. A medal, with the borough coat of arms on one side and a suitable inscription on the other, will then, on behalf of the borough, be presented to the Volunteers who have taken part in the War."

North Devon Journal, Thursday 13th June 1901
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Bideford Tribute Medal 3 years 6 months ago #72028

• SamFam
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I believe Private S. Braund, mentioned in the above newspaper article, was Salathiel Braund and was related to my great grandmother. Salathiel was born in Northam Devon in 1879. I found a Medal Roll which shows his Regt No. as 5575 Volunteer Company Devonshire Regiment. He was awarded the Queen's South Africa Medal with the South Africa 1901 clasp. After the war he settled in the Rhondda area of Wales.
I am interested to know any more information about Salathiel and his service in the 2nd Boer War.

Bideford Tribute Medal 3 years 6 months ago #72033

• BereniceUK
I can't find a mention of Salathiel Braund, but it wasn't common for newspapers of the period to give first names of Privates. If you have a library card, you may be able to access the North Devon Journal for the early 1900s.

"Captain Dart, of Bideford Volunteers, has presented to Private S. Braund, of Northam, a silver watch and chain in recognition of his services as servant to the Captain during the War."
North Devon Journal, Thursday 4th July 1901

There was also an S. H. Braund, Imperial Yeomanry, of Barnstaple, who died of enteric fever on 27/6/1900.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, SamFam

Bideford Tribute Medal 3 years 6 months ago #72048

• BereniceUK
I've found two mentions of Salathiel Braund in South Wales post-war.

newspapers.library.wales/search?alt=full...-12-31T00%3A00%3A00Z
The following user(s) said Thank You: SamFam

Bideford Tribute Medal 3 years 6 months ago #72064

• SamFam
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you Berenice for the additional information about Salathiel Braund. One of the Welsh articles is about the funeral of his father-in-law so confirms information about his wife's family. The other article about the wedding of a blacksmith's daughter is interesting because Salathiel was also a blacksmith. Interesting also to see in your previous post about another S. Braund who served in 2nd Boer War. More research needed! Thanks again.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.636 seconds