Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

The Groombridge cups. 5 years 5 months ago #61088

• dunnboer
  • dunnboer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 363
I have in my collection these two large silver goblets which are I believe two of only eleven presented.

together with the QSA of Private F. Crowhurst of the Sussex Regiment

The Kent & Sussex Courier - Friday 31 October 1902- reported the presentation of these impressive items as follows:-

Presentations to Soldiers —An entertainment was given in St. Thomas's School-room on Tuesday, which had a two-fold object. First, a public presentation of cups to those of Groombridge who took part in the South African campaign, and secondly, to obtain balance for the purchase of the cups. At the interval the Misses Saint presented the silver cups and spoke a few encouraging words to each recipient. Rev. R. Fisher made some prefatory remarks suitable for the occasion and referred in sorrowing tones to the death of Mr Frederick Hall, of the Scots Guards, who fell at his post at Modder River. Each recipient was greeted with much applause- The following is the list: Mr W. Bish, Capt. Trevor Trevor-Battye, W. Crowhurst, Lieut.L. D. B. Drummond ( who is now in India with his regiment), F. C. Flawn (received by his brother on his behalf), G. G. Holden, J. Ovenden (who is now in South Africa with his regiment, received by his mother), E. G. Poulsom, C. A. Russell, T. B. Reeve (now serving in Baden Powell's Constabulary in South Africa, received by his father), and "Relations of Mr Frederick Hull, in memory of a gallant soldier" (received by his mother). Capt. Trevor Trevor Battye returned thanks on behalf of his brother soldiers; they had only done their duty, and would do so again if called upon. He also thanked the Misses Saint for making the presentations.

8039 Private Frederick David Crowhurst joined the 3rd Militia Battalion of the Royal Sussex Regiment at the age of 18 in November 1899 giving his next of kin as his mother, Mrs Crowhurst of Groombridge, Kent and served in South Africa from 29th March 1901 and subsequently on St Helena from 15th June 1902 until 11th September 1902 earning the QSA with 5 clasps as above. He subsequently attested for the Royal Sussex Regiment as No 7306 on the 29th December 1902 and transferred to the Reserve on 28th December 1905. He was discharged as unfit for further service on 30th September 1914 due to a varicose ulcer of his leg.

Leopold Douglas Bell Drummond was born in Groombridge in 1880. He was educated at Heidleberg College Germany and emigrated to Canada where he enlisted with the Royal Canadian Dragoons on 27th December 1899 in Winnipeg. He was discharged on 13th January 1901 having earned the QSA with clasps Johannesburg, Diamond Hill, Belfast, Cape Colony and Orange Free State and commissioned as a Lieutenant in the 4th Dragoon Guards on 22nd May 1901, subsequently serving in India with that regiment from October 1901 until September 1904 and South Africa from September 1904 until June 1905. His retirement in June 1905 was noted in the London Gazette. Following the outbreak of World War one he re-enlisted as a private with Strathcona's Horse and served in France from 24th May 1915 until 11th June 1916 when he obtained a commission in the 9th reserve Battalion Royal West Kent Regiment. He earned the 1915 star, BWM and VM and died in Canada in 1969.
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE, Henk Loots, BereniceUK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Groombridge cups. 4 years 2 weeks ago #68683

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Evening DunnBoer…….

You can cut the list of the missing down by one...… I was able to obtain this one just waiting now for it to arrive..... I have not yet found out which regiment that he served in as there is no listing in FMP..... There are 2 listings in the Imperial Yeomanry Roll that have the same name.....
Russell, Caleb Albert 30937, Private 36th Coy., 11th Bn. I.Y. , and Russell, Claud Alexander Hugh 42276, Trooper* 37th Bn. I.Y.

Mike

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.699 seconds