Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

CAPT.W.L. GRAY F.I.D. 9 years 11 months ago #19853

• jim51
  • jim51's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 104
Hi All,

I am the custodian of a KSA with clasps 01,02 to Capt. W.L. Gray. Field Intelligence Dept. The FID medal roll confirms his entitlement to a QSA (CC,WIT,BLF) with 2/ Brabant's Hse but strangely there is reference to a reg no. 1227 in the Brabant's roll. I have checked both 2/Brabant's Hse & DEOVR Rolls and am none the wiser. DEOVR is noted near his entry on the 2/Brabant's Hse and I'm not sure if is is for Gray or the name above.
Any assistance / hints will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

CAPT.W.L. GRAY F.I.D. 9 years 11 months ago #19863

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Gray held a commission in 2nd Brabants Horse and served from the 13th of May 1900 to the 30th of September 1900 with them.
Which folio have you looked at in WO100/301, the covered one or the uncovered one, SAMIF officers did not normally use numbers.

CAPT.W.L. GRAY F.I.D. 9 years 11 months ago #19872

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
Excellent KSA Jim!
Dr David Biggins

CAPT.W.L. GRAY F.I.D. 9 years 11 months ago #19893

• jim51
  • jim51's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 104
Hi Frank & David,

Thanks for the replies. Not sure what you mean by folio, Frank. I looked up the 2/ Brabant's Hse medal roll. I'll have another look tonight.
David, I liked the 'look' of the medal and you never know, the QSa may pop up at some stage in the future.

Cheers,

Jim

CAPT.W.L. GRAY F.I.D. 9 years 11 months ago #19897

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Jim,
The "1227" you mention in the left hand margin is actually part of a contempory roll reference, SAMIF officers only had numbers for the purpose of nominal rolls, the "2904 DEOVR Pte" in the remarks column is an error and refers to a Private D Gray who was also number 4201 Trooper in the 2nd Brabants Horse.
Your man was a Staff Captain in the SAMIF although, he is shown as a Lieutenant on the FID nominal roll in WO127, his first initial "N" is shown in error on that too.
The available on line folio/page in WO100/301 is a covered one, have you seen the uncovered one?
Regards Frank

jim51 wrote: Hi All,

I am the custodian of a KSA with clasps 01,02 to Capt. W.L. Gray. Field Intelligence Dept. The FID medal roll confirms his entitlement to a QSA (CC,WIT,BLF) with 2/ Brabant's Hse but strangely there is reference to a reg no. 1227 in the Brabant's roll. I have checked both 2/Brabant's Hse & DEOVR Rolls and am none the wiser. DEOVR is noted near his entry on the 2/Brabant's Hse and I'm not sure if is is for Gray or the name above.
Any assistance / hints will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jim

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.365 seconds