Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Men from Hallaton/Horninghold who served in Boer War 10 years 4 months ago #16395

• Leicsboer
  • Leicsboer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello

I'm currently researching men from our village who served in WWI and have discovered that rather more men than anyone thought took part in the Boer War as well.
Several appear to have enlisted on the same day and there was a farewell dinner for them on March 12th 1901.

I have, at this point, to admit to my very poor knowledge of the Boer War and I'm hoping that there will be people able to help or point me in the correct direction to find out more about what these people did in the war, eg where they were/fought etc and also the intricacies of the clasp and medal entitlement.
I will post in the relevant topic area(family history)concerning the men if that is the correct place to put my requests.
We do have a couple of photographs of at least two of the men in uniform which I'm sure we would be happy to share with you.

Thanks
Max

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Men from Hallaton/Horninghold who served in Boer War 10 years 4 months ago #16406

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2307
Have you tried the local newspapers of the time, presumably Leicester and Market Harborough? You could pick up snippets there if letters home were quoted.

The Leicestershire Boer War memorial in Leicester lists the county's dead regiment-by-regiment but I haven't seen a roll of honour for those who served and returned.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leicsboer

Men from Hallaton/Horninghold who served in Boer War 10 years 4 months ago #16412

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
Welcome Max,

Through the Boer War records we should be able to identify which units the men fought in and also their clasp entitlements. There are histories of the units that fought in the Boer War on this site so that will give you some background to what they did in South Africa.

Berenice's suggestion is very valid because the Boer War, particularly in the early days, was well reported in newspapers.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leicsboer

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.196 seconds