Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

My name is Micky Denne I would like to find out more about my Grandad 10 years 5 months ago #15614

• cotswold1
  • cotswold1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
My grandad perished at the battle of Elandslaagte 21st Oct1899
his name was Major Henry Willaim Denne
My father's name was Major Victor Harry Alexander Denne, born 9th dec 1899
so he never met his dad, they were both in the 2nd battalion Gordon Highlanders.
I would like to visit the place where he lies hopefully early next year.
Not sure what my next move should be.
Advice please
Best regards
Micky Denne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My name is Micky Denne I would like to find out more about my Grandad 10 years 5 months ago #15617

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
Hi Micky

Have you thought about a guide to show you around the battlefields? I am sure there will be several recommendations for them on the forum soon.

I think it would be fantastic to stand where my relatives were.

In my copy of In Memoriam, a roll off all those killed for the Boer War, he is listed as:

Maj Denne HWD. KIA Elandslaagte, Battleridge. 21-10-1899.

He has a headstone there and is listed on the regimental monument. His name is also in the All Saints Church in Ladysmith.

He was 38 years old.

Good luck.

Ryan

My name is Micky Denne I would like to find out more about my Grandad 10 years 5 months ago #15620

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Micky

The Administrator of this site, David Biggins, is the author of a the book, 'Elandslaagte Account and Medal Roll', which is well worth reading and taking with you when you visit the battlefield. It includes a photograph of your grandfather.

If you have not already done so google 'Battlefields of KwaZulu-Natal' for information on accommodation, guides etc.

Regards
Brett

My name is Micky Denne I would like to find out more about my Grandad 10 years 5 months ago #15663

• absentminded beggar
  • Thank you received: 11

cotswold1 wrote: My grandad perished at the battle of Elandslaagte 21st Oct1899
his name was Major Henry Willaim Denne
My father's name was Major Victor Harry Alexander Denne, born 9th dec 1899
so he never met his dad, they were both in the 2nd battalion Gordon Highlanders.
I would like to visit the place where he lies hopefully early next year.
Not sure what my next move should be.
Advice please
Best regards
Micky Denne

Mr Micky Denne, Sir, for your interest -

Gordon Highlanders assault the crest at Elandslaagte with Colonel Schiel's Maxim-Nordenfelt guns near the skyline.

A cross-surmounted headstone inscribed to the memory of HENRY WILLIAM DENNE DENNE is included in the images section of :

www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/im...7-gordon-highlanders

A cemetary view of Elandslaagte with three fenced crosses to the right of the picture, clearly shows the headstone - centrally placed - mentioned above, at :

www.battlefieldsroute.co.za/place/elandslaagte-battlefield/

A very elegant updated website providing historical backgrounds & battlefield terrains is :

www.battlefieldsroute.co.za

Zooming-in on the Elandslaagte location map icon provides an astonishing satellite perspective of the aforementioned cemetary with the three fenced graves at it's southeast end.
"The greatness of a nation consists not so much in the number of it's people or the extent of it's territory as in the extent and justice of its compassion"
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.579 seconds