TOPIC:

Interesting fact 10 years 6 months ago #15351

• Pietbrit
  • Pietbrit's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I have an interesting fact.

About a year ago, my wife, as an ocupational therapist, had to visit a lady in Guildford, in her eighties.
After the visit, my wife had a general chat with the lady and found out that her father fought in the Boer war.

He fought on the English side and after his retirement from service, resettled in England and only got married in his fifties.

The Lady showed my wife his campaign medals. Unfortunately my wife was not as interested as myself in the war and did not get lots of info from her. The lady did say that her dad did not really discuss the war with her as he was getting along, while she was still young and not yet interested in history.

I just thought that it was amazing to know that there were still living links to the Boer war.

Hope the forum folowers find this as amazing as myself.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Interesting fact 10 years 6 months ago #15352

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
That is pretty cool! I have only once met a child of a vet, and it was a really good chat.

He must have been about 50 when he had her, shows what an old soldier can do!

Interesting fact 10 years 6 months ago #15353

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1884
Way Way back in at the dawn of time as my kids would say I had a summer job at a local veterans hospital and I had the chance to meet 43261 Trooper / Private Henry Horace Crampin, Henry Horace, 30th Bn. I.Y. .....

The sad thing is I would chat with him during my lunch hour for about a month and then after a weekend away I returned to find that he had passed away....

He told me that in the beginning they had been issued 40 horses and 7 saddles and he had never ridden a horse in his life....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.370 seconds