Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Boer War medal confirmation sought....... 10 years 6 months ago #15125

• John S
  • John S's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
djb:
Thanks for your comments.
His CEF attestation papers state in clear writing (his), that he had service in "Brabants Horse Rhodesian Field Force S.A. 1899"
His CEF papers also state that he was born at Seaton Devonshire England, and was married to Effis Dean Hall and was a Civil servant living in
Ottawa Canada.
The fact that there does not seem to be anything listed for him as being in SA for the ABW seems strange indeed, as I`m sure he would not have misrepresented his war service, especially with his civilian job being a Civil Servant- misrepresentation exposed would have probably resulted in being given the sack, and public disgrace, I believe.
A thought- since he mentions that he served in 1899, is there the chance that he might have had this somewhat limited service as a result of illness/ wounds?
Is there a listing somewhere that might document this?
Cheers,
John S.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Boer War medal confirmation sought....... 10 years 6 months ago #15135

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1542
John
This may be regarded as a LONG SHOT!!! I noted the reference to C.A.Hall claiming previous service in the "Rhodesian Field Force" and - recalling that various units operating in what was then Rhodesia included "Field Force" in their title - I had a look in my thumbed copy of Colin Owen's BSACo medal roll. There is a C.A.Hall shown as a Trooper in the Mashonaland Mounted Police and entitled to the BSACo medal with clasp "1896". The Roberts Publications roll was also checked but same initials of forenames only.
As I said, this might be a long shot and even attempting to solve the puzzle will take you a lot of digging unless you get lucky early on. It must also be realized that the title of a unit upon formation may well have changed later on for a number of reasons. Another area of possible error at the time of his WW1 CEF enlistment may well have been an incorrect entering of C.A.Hall's details.
I was a little reluctant to enter this post as I can offer no additional information apart from the above. However, the citizens of the Old Empire travelled far and wide in search of adventure or a new life; and it would not be at all unusual to journey from England to Rhodesia (and possibly SA) and then to Canada.
Regards
IL.

Boer War medal confirmation sought....... 10 years 6 months ago #15136

• John S
Linneyl:
If Clarence Alfred Hall was involved in the Mashonaland Mounted Police, gaining the BSACo medal with 1896 bar, I wonder why he would have not mentioned it on his CEF papers, especially in light that he thought it important enough to make mention of his supposed ABW service in Brabants` Horse and the Rhodesian Field Force in 1899.
As you say, it is a long shot, but perhaps worthy of a follow up.
Where should I go to see if the C.A Hall in the MMP is my man, or not?
Your mention that ABW unit names may have been changed later. That is a thought that gives me heartburn! All I really have to go on here is what is on his CEF attestation papers, so if names have been changed, I may be adrift here unless someone can set me straight.
If anyone can provide further suggestions, I am all ears, as at this point a simple look up is turning into a bit of a mystery!
Cheers,
John S

Boer War medal confirmation sought....... 10 years 6 months ago #15137

• LinneyI
John
The problem lies in the detail supplied in CAH's CEF papers. As far as the ABW is concerned, the War Office approved the formation of the Rhodesian Field Force (RFF)in January 1900 and it was in the field a couple of months later. The point I was trying to make in my earlier post was that during the various campaigns in Rhodesia PRIOR to the ABW, there were quite a number of units that included "Field Force" (FF)in their title. Hence my delving into the BSACo medal roll on spec.
To try and prove what was a long shot, you would have to get a researcher to check for any existing papers for CAH in Rhodesia with the UK National Archives. A home address on any such papers may solve the puzzle? Perhaps another member of this site may have some access?
As a matter of interest, when enlistments were being sought at the very start of the ABW for what is one of my favourite units - Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry - it was described in publicity as the proposed "Uitlander Corps"; a very emotive term at the time.
Never dismiss the following up of a "long shot". Once, many years ago I was able to nominally "add" bars Rof Mafeking and Rhodesia to an otherwise ordinary QSA to the 3rd NSW IB by cross checking other rolls on a hunch. It can happen. Mostly, it does not!
Regards
IL.

Boer War medal confirmation sought....... 10 years 6 months ago #15138

• John S
Linneyl:
Thanks for this.
I guess the next logical step would be to engage a researcher at the NA to follow up on CAH.
Can you or anyone else suggest someone who could assist me here?
Thanks!
John S

Boer War medal confirmation sought....... 10 years 6 months ago #15139

• LinneyI
John
If you go to the strip at the top of the site, it shows a "contacts" button. Therein is a researcher in UK.
Let us know how you went - one way or the other!
Regards
IL.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.451 seconds