Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Boer War medal confirmation sought....... 10 years 6 months ago #15140

• John S
  • John S's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Linneyl:
Thanks for the direction.
I will follow up on this, because I hate unsolved mysteries!
Will info all when things become clearer, I hope.
Cheers,
John S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Boer War medal confirmation sought....... 10 years 6 months ago #15156

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello John,
Brabants Horse were never part of the Rhodesian Field Force, this latter, was actually made up of Australian's, New Zealander's with the numbers being made up by the British Army, mainly Royal Field Artillery and Imperial Yeomanry.
Sadly, it was not uncommon for men to embellish there there CV's with very fictitious additions and "Brabants Horse Rhodesian Field Force 1899" is very clearly one of those.
Regards Frank

John S wrote: djb:
Thanks for your comments.
His CEF attestation papers state in clear writing (his), that he had service in "Brabants Horse Rhodesian Field Force S.A. 1899"
His CEF papers also state that he was born at Seaton Devonshire England, and was married to Effis Dean Hall and was a Civil servant living in
Ottawa Canada.
The fact that there does not seem to be anything listed for him as being in SA for the ABW seems strange indeed, as I`m sure he would not have misrepresented his war service, especially with his civilian job being a Civil Servant- misrepresentation exposed would have probably resulted in being given the sack, and public disgrace, I believe.
A thought- since he mentions that he served in 1899, is there the chance that he might have had this somewhat limited service as a result of illness/ wounds?
Is there a listing somewhere that might document this?
Cheers,
John S.

Boer War medal confirmation sought....... 10 years 6 months ago #15159

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2161
I'm with Frank on this one John.

I don't think you should knock yourslef out searching for something that is clearly not there.

As I said right at the beginning when answering your initial query - the rolls (which are pretty complete) on Ancestry show no-one with that comination of initials and surname that served either with Brabant's Horse and/or any Rhodesian related Regiment.

During the ABW there was no Rhodesian Field Force to speak of - as it has been pointed out this was a term used for the Rhodesian campaign of 1896 for which the BSAC medal was issued.

During the ABW the only reference to a wholly Rhodesian Regiment (other than those who earned the Rhodesia clasp) were the Southern Rhodesian Volunteers.

Regards

Rory

Boer War medal confirmation sought....... 10 years 6 months ago #15160

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
John,
The MM Police Corps was raised as the Matabeleland Mounted Police in 1893, it was part of the British South Africa Companies own forces and a permenant corps, although, its rank and file, attestation and discharge were much the same as the Bechuanaland Border Police, it was not raised or paid for by the Colonial Office in Great Britain
Trooper Charles Alfred Hall served in this force, after a very brief look in WO100/77 and RG12/198, I can tell you he was born in Hackney, London in 1876, he served in the 1896 Campaign and recieved the BSA Co medal for the 1896 war, this latter was sent to his father Thomas Hall at their family home in Millfields Rd, Lower Clapton, London.
Regards again Frank Kelley

John S wrote: Linneyl:
Thanks for this.
I guess the next logical step would be to engage a researcher at the NA to follow up on CAH.
Can you or anyone else suggest someone who could assist me here?
Thanks!
John S

Boer War medal confirmation sought....... 10 years 6 months ago #15164

• John S
  • John S's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Gentlemen:
Thanks for your further perspectives on Clement Alfred HALL.
Frank-sad to think that a future RSM might have embellished his CEF attestation papers, but I guess it is a distinct possibility. Interestingly, on a duplicate copy of the attestation paper, he says that his service was 1899-1900. I don`t know if this assertion might be important or not, but it does establish a time frame of service, if anything can be found to support his ABW claim of previous service on his CEF attestation.
Rory- looks like HALL may well have made it all up, unless further info surfaces here. With the statement on his CEF attestation papers saying service from 1899-1900, and nothing showing for Brabants` Horse or anything Rhodesian, I think there might be nothing further to do here, unfortunately.
I think the BSACo connection is a non starter also. If trooper C A HALL was in the MMP, then he is definately not my man, as his name was Clarence Alfred HALL, and he was born 1 Dec 1877.
Looks like I have gone as far as I can on this one, unfortunately.
Many Thanks to all for their input.
Cheers,
John S

Boer War medal confirmation sought....... 10 years 6 months ago #15173

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1542
John
Well, at least you now know thanks to Frank. Long shots do sometimes work; if not this time!
Regards
IL.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.427 seconds