• Page:

TOPIC:

City Imperial Volunteers related badge? 10 years 6 months ago #14903

• Arcade Al
  • Arcade Al's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, to be completely honest I don't have too much interest in the Boer War - my interest in military history really starts from WW1 onwards!
:blush:

However I got round to researching a badge that I got from somewhere, I thought it might be related to WW1 but could not find out any information about it.

I posted about it on a research forum that I help run for the Airfield Research group, and someone on there has said that it may well date from the Boer War and be welcoming home the members of the City Imperial Volunteers?

On the reverse it has printed "Buy the Evening News!" but I doubt that is of much interest compared to the front.

Any confirmation would be very much appreciated - I was really surprised to hear that it could possibly be as old as that?

Many thanks.

EDIT: Just gone to upload an avatar and found that one of them is the image from my badge! So I think I have answered my own question really.
:lol:
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

City Imperial Volunteers related badge? 10 years 6 months ago #14921

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4557
Arcade Al,

We will have to see if we can bring you across from the dark side :)

You are right that the badge was issued to commemorate the return of the City Imperial Volunteers on 1900 so it is something of an historic relic.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

City Imperial Volunteers related badge? 10 years 6 months ago #14927

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1884
Good Morning Al.....

Yes this was for the return of the C.I.V. there were also Flags, Silk Book Marks and Hankies.....

And of course the Welcome Home Medal.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

City Imperial Volunteers related badge? 10 years 6 months ago #14948

• Arcade Al
  • Arcade Al's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you for the welcome gentlemen.
:)

I have had this for years and never considered that it could be Victorian. I know it's not really all that long before WW1 but it still seems like a world away now! Especially considering that these things are now beyond living memory.

It may be anathema to suggest it on here, but I really don't have any place for this in a collection (as a recovering hoarder of clutter, I try not to collect anything much these days!) and it's going to sit in a box somewhere if I keep it. Rather than consign it to that well known online auction site, is it possible to offer it for sale on here?

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.394 seconds