Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New User - Main interest 6th Dragoon Guards (The Carabiniers0 10 years 9 months ago #12819

• PeterBas
  • PeterBas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
HI ALL,

I found this site when browsing the web, as my grandfather and his brother (my granduncle) were both in the 6DG. My grandfather was Thomas Henry Bastable, a lance sergeant and his brother John James Bastable was a sergeant. I found a very interesting photo of the 6DG’s NCO’s and wondered when and where it was taken as there is a good chance both of them will be in the picture.

Thanks for all this work, much appreciated.

Peter Bas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New User - Main interest 6th Dragoon Guards (The Carabiniers0 10 years 9 months ago #12829

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
Hello Peter and welcome to the forum.

I don't have any details of the picture I'm afraid :(

How much information do you have on your relatives?

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins

New User - Main interest 6th Dragoon Guards (The Carabiniers0 10 years 9 months ago #12861

• PeterBas
  • PeterBas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks for your reply David,

We know that both brothers' John James a Thomas Henry Bastable served with the 6th Dragoon Guards in South Africa and as is pointed out on this site, received medal rolls, 6 to JJ and 3 to TH.

We came about information as their father George Bastable (my GGfather) served with the 6DG for 27 years and his father George Bastable (my GGGfather) served with the 11th Hussars, also for 27 years. By tracing them, it dawned on us that JJ and TH had also spent time with the 6DG without a mention in the family, as far as I know.

Judging by the attached file (I trust I have attached it?) JJ was definitely at 6 locations and JJ at 3. TH was injured, thrown off a horse I believe and had a severe injury to his back so arrived back in England July 1900 and was discharged in Nov 1900. TH was a physical instructor with the famous SANDOW in Westminster but I believe he never could perform as well after his injury. It appears right now that JJ spent many years in the forces from 1891 to 1920, 29 years.

I see some very interesting angles with the A-B war as riding horses all your life as many of the Afrikaans did, in their own country, must have been a significant advantage, or somewhat an advantage. As both my Gf (born 1874) and Gu (born 1871) had been around horses until GGfather George was discharged in 1882, it obviously gave them the background of Calvary for 8 to 11 years, which is useful. But, they lived as I in Westminster, London, 5 minutes walk from Big Ben, so even back then, how did they compete?

Also, TH was 6’ 1 ½”, so what horse would he need to ride?

As I live in Australia and have been to South Africa, the differences for horses are significant.

I suppose much of this is known but the tools (horses, weapons on a horse, gullies/landscape) must have been key.

Thanks again, Peter B.
Attachments:

New User - Main interest 6th Dragoon Guards (The Carabiniers0 9 years 10 months ago #20421

• Heatherlander
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Peter,
Thanks for your post. My GGF also was 6DG Boer and WW1 wars, a Lance Corporal George Parkyn. I've come across that photo you speak of as well. If you do happen to find out any more info about it, please let me know by way of reply. Thanks!

New User - Main interest 6th Dragoon Guards (The Carabiniers0 9 years 10 months ago #20555

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
It would be interesting to see the photograph mentioned in this thread, interestingly, John Bastable's service papers have survived in WO97.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.396 seconds