Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Confirmation of grandfathers boer activities, please. 10 years 9 months ago #12796

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 121
Hi Paddy,

I think he did serve in the Boer War. He is recorded in The Times as travelling to the UK from South Africa in the Canada on 1st August 1900.

My hunch is that he served first with a colonial contingent before his commission in July 1900.

He is a bit elusive though!

Best wishes,

Justin

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Confirmation of grandfathers boer activities, please. 10 years 9 months ago #12797

• JustinLDavies
Paddy,

We're edging ever closer. He seems to have been around Rhodesia at the outbreak of war and seems to have been serving in one of the Rhodesian units - see this article from the South Australian Register 13 September 1899. Interestingly, it also places him around Matabeleland.

Best wishes,

Justin

Attachments:

Confirmation of grandfathers boer activities, please. 10 years 9 months ago #12801

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
Justin,

That article was interesting and certainly placed JHW Makin in the region. Do you think he did not become involved in the fighting and hence we can't find him on the rolls.

I did a wide search of the rolls for any connection to Rhodesia and came up blank again.

Intriguingly, there is a Capt A J C Cazalet on the roll for the BSAP with single clasp Rhodesia.

Frustrating!
David
Dr David Biggins

Confirmation of grandfathers boer activities, please. 10 years 9 months ago #12802

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
Can this be the same man?

TITLE J. H. W. Makin
DESCRIPTION J.H.W. Makin: Commander of Military Forces S.A. 1907-11
DATE ca.1911

Shame he is not facing the other way!

TITLE Lieut. J. H. W. Makin
DESCRIPTION Lieut. J.H.W. Makin: Royal Inniskilly Fusiliers
DATE ca.1890

Source: trove.nla.gov.au/picture/result?q=makin
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Confirmation of grandfathers boer activities, please. 10 years 9 months ago #12921

• lexa
  • lexa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Morning to all,
The name on the photos is right, with the hand written date on 1 being 1/1/07 and as his father Colonel Frank had been O.C of SA Military Forces when he retired in 1900 it is likely the son followed. Also other trove results put him in SA around that time. Being born in 1874 the other photo is not ca 1890 if it's him and would likely be in England ca 1902 after the promotion to Lt in about April '02. From the clipping re passage on the Canada it appears that Sec. Lieut. Makin of 2nd Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers was on the Sick and Wounded list.
Col. Frank started his career as an ensign with the 56th Lancashire Rifle Volunteer Corps and made Lieutenant in 1864. J H W through his dad may have had some connection with other units and Officers.
From findmypast I found reference in the Manchester Evening News of 4/8/15 to J H W relinquishing his Commission.
What exactly does a Fusilier do, or did in the old days? Have read of the Radio Call magazine but got no idea as to what it did either??
Thanks and best wishes; lexa (aka Paddy )

Confirmation of grandfathers boer activities, please. 10 years 4 months ago #16376

• JustinLDavies
Paddy,

I was sorting through some old research papers which I had copied some twenty years ago in the National Archives. I came across some references to your grandfather. It seems that he received a commission in the British Army having served in the colonial forces during the Boer War.

This type of commission (for Australians, Canadians, South Africans), which were a reward for colonial support, were unpopular with the regular Army officers and caused some difficulties in the Regiments.

I do not have the whole correspondence file but a researcher will be able to find it for you in WO 108/117.

Best wishes,

Justin

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.670 seconds