Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Hello - researching William Joseph ZANNETTI 1879-1945 10 years 11 months ago #12209

• robccc
  • robccc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all

I am an amateur historian based in the Netherlands and am researching Italian migration to Kingston Upon Thames in the 19th Century. Attached is a photo of William Joseph ZANNETTI born in Kingston Upon Thames on 16/09/1879 to an Italian father and Northern Irish mother. Descendants of William tell me that he fought in both the Boer War and WW1. The uniform appears to be in keeping of a colonial campaign. Can anyone tell me more about William or identify his regiment. I'm grateful for any information you can provide. Many thanks

Rob
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello - researching William Joseph ZANNETTI 1879-1945 10 years 11 months ago #12210

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1542
Rob
I suspect that others on this formum who are more at home with the rolls will be able to help more than I; however, the chap in the pic is wearing a webbing Mounted Infantry bandolier definitely from the ABW period and the rifle is a standard Magazine Lee Enfield ditto re period. This info doesn't help much - save to say that it puts the pic in/about the ABW period.
Good luck with your research.
IL.

Hello - researching William Joseph ZANNETTI 1879-1945 10 years 11 months ago #12211

• robccc
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks for the information Linneyl. I look forward to hearing from those with a better knowledge on the subject than I

Hello - researching William Joseph ZANNETTI 1879-1945 10 years 10 months ago #12216

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2161
Hello Rob

The only Zanetti who fought in the Boer War (according to the medal rolls on Ancestry) was a P Zanetti who was with 1st Kitchener's Flying Scouts and the Scots Railway Guards.

Both of these were locally (South Africa) raised units which would mean he was living in SA at the time of the war.

William Joseph Zanetti fought with the Lancashire Fusiliers in WWI with no. 307361 earning the British War Medal and Victory Medal.

Regards

Rory

Hello - researching William Joseph ZANNETTI 1879-1945 10 years 10 months ago #12222

• robccc
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks Rory, I will go back and do a little more digging

Regards

Rob

Hello - researching William Joseph ZANNETTI 1879-1945 10 years 6 months ago #14935

• robccc
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
It's been a little while but now I have some more information on William Joseph ZANNETTI born 16th September 1879. It appears that he enlisted in the Royal Field Artillery under his mother's maiden name GUNNER (very apt) but this name was incorrectly recorded on records as GUMMER - therefore he may show on military records as William Joseph GUNNER or GUMMER. According to a descendant he served in the South African Field Force, Royal Field Artillery, 76th Battalion, Battery 30925. He was apparently wounded at Senekal, Orange Free State on 30th December 1900.

In addition to this I have discovered that his half brother Louis ZANNETTI born 11 January 1868 also served in the Boer War. Louis also enlisted using his mother's maiden name and may be recorded as Louis GUNNER or Lewis GUNNER. He served with the South African Field Force, 2nd Battalion East Kent Regiment, No 1830. He too was apparently wounded at Brakenlaage on 30 October 1901.

Does anyone have anymore information on these two soldiers? Many thanks Rob

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.841 seconds