Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Princess Christian nursing sister Gertrude Roberts 10 years 10 months ago #10476

• Sisley
  • Sisley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am new to the forum, I inherited 2 medals given to Sister Gertrude Roberts, as I am the only nurse in the extended family. The medals came from my step grandfather who was related to Sister Roberts . This is where it got hard, I cant find any relationship between Col Gordon Fullbrook and his relative Gertrude Roberts.
I know they were both born in Tasmania.
She was at No 7 General Pretoria and No 14 Stationary Maritzburg.
Any information about these hospitals or my nurse I would be very grateful
The medals are interesting as the first one had Queen Victoria and the second has Edward iv. I also have the Princess Christian Badge.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Princess Christian nursing sister Gertrude Roberts 10 years 10 months ago #10478

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good morning and welcome,
In respect of the QSA/KSA pair, she appears to be shown twice on the QSA roll WO100/229 pages 54 and 115, it was issued on the 22nd of October 1903, in the remarks column on page 54, a note " To Convent Hospital Estcourt" her KSA is shown in WO100/353 page 4, in addition a note "C/O P M O Forces in SA Pretoria, a very nice pair of medals too.
Kind regards Frank

Sisley wrote: I am new to the forum, I inherited 2 medals given to Sister Gertrude Roberts, as I am the only nurse in the extended family. The medals came from my step grandfather who was related to Sister Roberts . This is where it got hard, I cant find any relationship between Col Gordon Fullbrook and his relative Gertrude Roberts.
I know they were both born in Tasmania.
She was at No 7 General Pretoria and No 14 Stationary Maritzburg.
Any information about these hospitals or my nurse I would be very grateful
The medals are interesting as the first one had Queen Victoria and the second has Edward iv. I also have the Princess Christian Badge.

Princess Christian nursing sister Gertrude Roberts 10 years 10 months ago #10480

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Her KSA entry

Attachments:

Princess Christian nursing sister Gertrude Roberts 10 years 10 months ago #10481

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 442
Hi

Gertrude Roberts was Mentioned in Despatches: London Gazette 29/07/1902 p4853 Kitchener's Final Despatch of 23 June 1902

Henk Loots

Princess Christian nursing sister Gertrude Roberts 6 years 1 month ago #57694

• ebomvu
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
I acquired these medals and PCANSR badge a few years ago and have with some difficulty, established some further relevant information. Gordon Fullbrook (himself an AIF professional military medical officer WWI, WWII) must have been given these medals by his mother-in-law - Gertrude Roberts. She was the niece of GRACE ROBERTS the recipient of these medals.

I was able to contact Margaret Chandler from the National Boer War Memorial Association Inc. source #1361. ( www.bwm.org.au ) She is the Great Grand niece, not of Nurse Gertrude Roberts, but she assured me, that she was in fact Nurse Grace Roberts Born Hobart 16th April 1864. www.ancestry.com.au/mediaui-viewer/tree/...64-8bdc-c2808436693f

The response I got after supplying this information to the Australian Nurses in the Boer War was incomprehensible. Their Volunteer Webmaster wrote "I do regret that the online descendant database is now closed for extension or alteration. Regrets if this causes you a difficulty." Their extensive article on Australian Nurses in the boer War refer to Nurse Gertrude Roberts saying that "she is thought to be Australian."

It is important to clarify the discrepancy in name. New information is constantly surfacing and historical references need to be altered accordingly.

Her PCANSR badge number is 873.

Any further information on Grace Roberts will be most appreciated.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.790 seconds