• Page:

TOPIC:

4317-GILBERT: Charles Edward Ashford - KDG 01/02 11 years 3 months ago #7934

• bruceg
  • bruceg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Greetings from Gloucester, NSW, Australia.

I am researching my Grandfather (aka Grandad) 4317-GILBERT: Charles Edward Ashford. He joined the Kings Dragoon Guards in London in 1898. Previous was in 2nd Tower Hamlet-Royal Engineers (Volunteers).

The 'FindMyPast.co.uk' records show his unit as "1st (Kings) Dragoon Guards, with Corps of Signallers'. My father (Grandad's son) wrote in his own life history that "He trained as a signaller and was skilled in flag signalling, both Morse code and semaphore, also the heliograph and oil lamp for night use."

My first question to this forum: "How did the relationship between 1KDG and the Corp of Signaller's work. Was he 'attached' from Sigs to 1KDG, or did 1KDG have its own Sigs, sappers, drivers/waggoneers, etc.?

My 2nd question: I can find very little on his Tower Hamlet (RE) unit. Can anyone assist me.

I do have a range of additional questions on Grandad's field service in SA that I will put to the forum at a later time.

In anticipation, thanks

Bruce Gilbert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 4317-GILBERT: Charles Edward Ashford - KDG 01/02 11 years 3 months ago #7938

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good morning Bruce and welcome to this forum,
What are you actually looking at when you say "records" are you looking at his attestion papers or are you looking at their transcribed "Anglo Boer War Records"
If it is the former, the unit he is actually attesting into is his unit!
Regards Frank

Re: 4317-GILBERT: Charles Edward Ashford - KDG 01/02 11 years 3 months ago #7940

• bruceg
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello Frank - thanks for your welcome.

I have a copy of Grandad's enlistment papers into 1KDD (via FindMyPast), and also have his original discharge parchments.

I am intrigued about his "Corps of Signals' notation; was the Corp separate from his 1KDG enlistment. In essence, was he a Signaller or a Dragoon Guard? Or, did 1KGD have it's own 'Corps of Signals' sub-unit. I was hoping to be able to find out more of what he did in South Africa, where he did it, etc. Are there records which would show his army activities/campaigns, etc when in South Africa.

I am aware that the FiringLine site has 1KDG records, but thought that I might find some information, or sources of info, at AngloboerWar.

Thanks

Bruce

Re: 4317-GILBERT: Charles Edward Ashford - KDG 01/02 11 years 3 months ago #7941

• Frank Kelley
Hello Bruce,
If you actually have his WO97 British Army papers, his entire service career is shown in the "statement of services of" sheet, within his service papers, the medal roll shows him as Private, Kings Dragoon Guards, if this is the regt he actually attested into and joined, then I would think that is what he is, i.e. a qualified signaller, in the Kings Dragoon Guards.
The Royal Corps of Signals did not yet exist and this fell onto the shoulders of the Royal Engineers in those days, but, there were qualified signaller's in all the cavalry regts.
Their history for the Boer War is shown in Stirling's book below, their museum is at Cardiff Castle in South Wales, I would perhaps talk to them.
There would also be more detailed regt histories around than Stirling's book, which is rather brief.
Regards again Frank

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bruceg

Re: 4317-GILBERT: Charles Edward Ashford - KDG 01/02 11 years 3 months ago #7942

• bruceg
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Frank - thanks for the update and the images. Not having much idea on the British Army's way of recording a soldier's service, I see that I need to do some more homework.

Will be back online in a few days.

Thanks again.

Bruce

Re: 4317-GILBERT: Charles Edward Ashford - KDG 01/02 11 years 3 months ago #7943

• Frank Kelley
Hello Bruce,
He may well have learnt his trade as a signaller in the Royal Engineers Volunteers, before joining the Kings Dragoon Guards.
Regards again Frank

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.414 seconds