• Page:

TOPIC:

Boer War Memorabillia 11 years 1 month ago #7904

• johnfuller
  • johnfuller's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi guys. NICE SITE? My grandfathers were in the war. My maternal grandfather Wilfred James Turner in Eastern Province Horse and My paternal grandfather William Robertson Fuller (1820 settler stock) served in the Protectorate Regiment. He was at Mafeking under Capt Fitzclarence and passed on some memorabillia via my father. I have my grandfather's diary of the Seige, the original Mafeking Mail for 31 May 1900, two large coffee table sized books - The Pictorial History of the Anglo Boer War and the Pictorial History of the Seige of Mafeking; plus his medals with Transvaal, Orange Free State and Natal Clasps; plus discharge papers, pay book, and other articles. But pride of place is the large framed indian ink hand written print hanging on my lounge wall with the names of all soldiers and their regiments. I know the Castle in Cape Town had one but have never seen another. It was done by J Arthur Stephenson in May 1901.
Best of luck with your site
Regards
John Fuller

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Boer War Memorabillia 11 years 1 month ago #7907

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Hi John

Welcome to the forum. You are one of the fortunate few who has inherited relics of the Boer War that were carefully preserved by your ancestors. I hope that you stay with this forum and post pictures of your inheritance.

Regards
Brett

Re: Boer War Memorabillia 2 years 11 months ago #75680

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
John,

It has been a while since we were last in touch. I have been writing a biography for William for a book on Mafeking and wanted to ask you a question if I may? I have read that William joined the South African Constabulary in 1906 and also served that year in the Natal Carbineers. I can see evidence of his service in the 1906 Rebellion. Can you confirm his service in the SAC please?

With thanks
David
Dr David Biggins

Boer War Memorabillia 2 years 11 months ago #75682

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
Hi David

He served with the SAC from 1902 until 1905 with no. H1151. His file is in the Pretoria Archives

DEPOT TAB
SOURCE SAC
TYPE LEER
VOLUME_NO 75
SYSTEM 01
REFERENCE H1151
PART 1
DESCRIPTION RECORD OF CONDUCT AND SERVICE IN THE SOUTH AFRICAN CONSTABULARY.
WILLIAM ROBERTSON FULLER.
STARTING 1902
ENDING 1905

His entry in the NC records reads thus:

FULLER William Robertson was born on the 28th May at the Fuller family farm in the Parish of Clapton, Thomas River, near the town of Cathcart, Cape Colony, South Africa. He was a great loyalist and fought wherever he could for Queen, King and Empire. His family still has his black mourning armband that he wore upon the death of his beloved Queen Victoria. He fought in the second Anglo Boer War 1899-1902, including being besieged at Mafeking. He was an outstanding horseman and served in the Protectorate Regiment, Frontier Force, from 16th August 1899, at the age of 19 years, until discharge on 20th October 1900; most of this time being at Mafeking. Thereafter he served in the Imperial Light Horse Regiment . During the defence of Mafeking he served as a Trooper under Captain Fitzclarence VC. He claimed to have been with Captain "Fitz" when he won his Victoria Cross. On 2nd October 1902 he joined the South African Constabulary as a Constable until 30th June 1906. He served as a Corporal in the Natal Carbineers with the Natal Militia Force during the Natal Rebellion and was discharged on 11th September 1906 after 69 days service. He later also served in the 1914-1918 Great War as a Sergeant in the 9th South African Horse Regiment. He saw service in German East Africa, where he contracted malaria and his hair turned white overnight. His war medals consist of Queen Victoria’s Queen’s South African Medal with three Clasps, Transvaal, Defence of Mafeking and Orange Free State. King Edward VII Medal for Natal. George V South African War Medal 1914-1918 and The Great War for Civilisation medal 1914-1919. His diary of the Siege of Mafeking was published.

Regards

Rory

Boer War Memorabillia 2 years 11 months ago #75683

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
That is excellent. Many thanks for that Rory.
Dr David Biggins

Boer War Memorabillia 2 years 11 months ago #75747

• Adrian123456
  • Thank you received: 241
Hi

Adam Patridge has a Boer War silver presentation case for Private J R Tite of the St John’s Ambulance Brigade, on auction. His medals were sold by Tennants in 2014.

Regards
Adrian
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.406 seconds