• Page:

TOPIC:

general interest 11 years 3 months ago #7747

• gunner4224
  • gunner4224's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I served with 94 new Zealand battery RA from 1966 to 69. This Battery was know during the Boer War as Q Battery. I have built a web site for my old Regiment that was disbanded in 1977 but the Battery was fortunately posted on, it is now serving with 4th Regiment and is presently in Afghanistan. It was whilst surfing this site that I found out that not only has the Battery got one VC but 3. The first two were awarded during the Moari Wars in 1863 in New Zealand.
The web site can be viewed www.42regt.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: general interest 11 years 3 months ago #7752

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
Gunner4224,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for the link to your site.

I have been looking at your site and I am a little confused. Are you suggesting that Q battery was only formed in 1900? I thought the formation date preceded the Boer War.

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: general interest 11 years 3 months ago #7763

• gunner4224
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
The battery id changed all the time for what ever reasons I dont really know. I havnt checked Q battery prior to being allocated as I have been more concerned with 94 but I do intend looking further into it by contacting the Firepower Museum in Woolwich

Re: general interest 11 years 3 months ago #7764

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883
My only "Q" Battery item, wish I had a medal.....

Look at this history: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_(Sanna%27s_Post)_HQ_Battery_RA

Mike

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Re: general interest 11 years 3 months ago #7766

• gunner4224
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Q (Sanna's Post)/HQ Battery was originally formed on the 1st of March in 1824,[1] in Poona India as 3rd Troop, The Bombay Horse Artillery. Between 1838 and 1857 the Troop saw action in the first Anglo-Afghan War, the First Anglo-Sikh War, the Second Anglo-Sikh War,, and the Anglo-Persian War. In 1858 the Battery saw service during the Indian mutiny. In 1862 the Battery was renamed C Battery, 4 Horse Brigade Royal Artillery and in 1864 became a Royal Horse Artillery Battery as C Battery, F Brigade RHA. Between 1864 and 1889 the Battery's title changed a further 5 times. In 1889 the Battery assumed the title of Q Battery Royal Artillery.

The Battery next saw service in the Boer war between 1899 and 1901. On 31 March 1900 the Battery had its finest hour when it saved its guns and the majority of General Broadwater's force from a vicious Boer ambush at Koorn Spruit, near Sanna's Post. As the Battery galloped away to the rear in line, the Boers, seeing that part of their prey was escaping, opened fire with rifles from the edge of the Spruit. Q Battery's guns were severed for four hours in that exposed position, subjected all the time to continuous rifle fire at 1,000 yards range - it must be remembered that at the time the guns had no shields![citation needed] The Battery fought with such collective gallantry and skill that Field Marshal Lord Roberts VC, directed that 4 Victoria Crosses should be awarded to the Battery,one to an officer, one to an NCO, one to a Gunner & one to a Driver. It is the most highly decorated action in the history of the Royal Regiment of Artillery. In addition 3 Distinguished Conduct Medals were also awarded. In 1926 the Battery was granted the honour title "Sanna's Post".

During the First World War the Battery saw continuous action on the western front. At the end of the Great War the Battery's name changed again twice before being renamed Q Battery Royal Field Artillery in 1924.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.595 seconds