• Page:

TOPIC:

Hello - and Railways. 11 years 4 months ago #7289

• cedpearce
  • cedpearce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
My Grandfather, William Joseph PEARCE was a Private in Railway Pioneer Regiment and settled in South Africa after the war. My current interest is researching the Bezuidenhout Valley Light Railway, a military narrow-gauge line carrying fodder for cavalry near Johannesburg, as I understand.

Any info or leads appreciated.

Thanks - Ced Pearce

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Hello - and Railways. 11 years 3 months ago #7480

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
Hello Ced,

Welcome to the site and thank you for a very intriguing question.

I had not heard about that railway before. I did find this mention from a website :

".. there appear to be no official records concerning the Bezuidenhout Light Railway mentioned on page 82. During the hostilities which took place in South Africa in the years 1899-1902 the British forces laid siege to Pretoria. The Commander-in-Chief of the Imperial Army, Lord Roberts, conceived the plan of building a railway in order that the troops encircling the city could speedily receive supplies at any point on the perimeter. It is said the railway was never constructed and that after the war was over the material was sold to a farmer by the name of Bezuidenhout who farmed in the Pienaarsrivier district. A railway about five miles long was laid and used for the conveyance of lucerne, firewood and various crops: it eventually became known as the Bezuidenhout Light Railway. The Central South African Railways bought this line and after being extended through to Settlers it was named the Pankop Light Railway. Unfortunately the above story cannot be substantiated."

Do you have more information than this?

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Hello - and Railways. 11 years 3 months ago #7510

• cedpearce
  • cedpearce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for your reply, David.

There was apparently a large cavalry convalescent camp East of Johannesburg for men and horses. See www.angloboerwar.com/?option=com_content&view=article&id=469 . It would appear that this was in the area now known as Bedfordview ( where I live ). Soldiers ( Scottish Horse ?? ) encamped there planted a row of oak trees, some of which are still standing.

Reference is made to the 2 locomotives used on this line at www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/37/Kerr_Stuarts.htm including photos showing wagons carrying bales of horse-fodder, an obvious requirement for a large number of horses. I understand that fodder was imported from South America and was transported inland by rail, but the railhead was some distance from the camp.

Where there is confusion is that records state that the line was about 2 miles long, and ran from the main line at Simmer & Jack mine to the camp. Bezuidenhout Valley is further than that, and separated by pretty big hills. However what is now known Bezuidenhout Valley is a small suburb of Johannesburg but originally was a much bigger farm, and included the area now known as Bedfordview.

It is my hypothesis that the railway ran to Bedfordview, and I would love proof of this !

Ced

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.665 seconds