• Page:

TOPIC:

"enlisting in boer war service 11 years 4 months ago #7182

• milo hicks
  • milo hicks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello, I am a first time user. I would very much appreciate hearing from any member who could tell me the process of enlisting in January of 1900. I am writing a book that includes Major H. Maitland Kersey, who started out as a Private in Ross's Yoemanry Machine-gun Battery. I am assuming this was a volunteer "regiment" (is that the right word?). Kersey eventually became an officer (Major with a DSO). If he entered as a volunteer, how did he move into legitimate ranks? And the picture I want to "paint" (I am writing a book about the Canadian CPR) is of Sir Charles Ross shaking hands with Kersey (a man of some money and member of the same London Club: Whites) and saying, "Yes, I accept you." What would have been the process of volunterring and would Kersey have had to supply his own uniform, etc.? Too many questions and anxious to learn the answer to some of them.

Sincerely, Milo Hicks, North Vancouver, BC, Canada

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: "enlisting in boer war service 11 years 4 months ago #7183

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883
Good Evening Milo.....

I have checked the regimental history of "Howard's Scouts" which later became "The Canadian Scouts" after the murder of Major Howard..... Which then came under the command of Major Charles Ross, DSO and I am afraid that I cannot find any mention of a person by the name of Kersey as being a member and there is no mention of him in the index.... I also checked the South African records in the L and NA of Canada and there is no mention of him there either.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Re: "enlisting in boer war service 11 years 4 months ago #7184

• milo hicks
  • milo hicks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Mike that was quick. Thank you. This regiment/Yoemanry was not Canadian, but English. Would "Sir" Charles Ross have gone by the term "Major" in wartime? I looked on Google for the Ross Yoemanry and found it, with no Kersey name either. Kersey soon became attached to St. George Henry's Mounted Infantry, "J" Battery. I have trouble deciphering the story written by Kersey himself, but the central thing I wondered is how he got into the war? Did he have to sign anything? Enlist with the government? Provide his own kit? Or did he just "go" in on a handshake, because of his status as a man of some "consequence". I read that the the first wave of soldiers in the Boer War were for the most part well-born.

Thanks again, Mike. MIlo

Re: "enlisting in boer war service 11 years 4 months ago #7185

• QSAMIKE
HI MILO

Hi Mike that was quick. Thank you. This regiment/Yoemanry was not Canadian, but English. Would "Sir" Charles Ross have gone by the term "Major" in wartime?

THE CANADIAN SCOUTS WAS AN ENGLISH REGIMENT AND NOT OFFICIALLY CONNECTED WITH CANADA BUT MOST OF THE VOLUNTEERS IN IT WERE CANADIAN IN THE BEGINNING…..

I looked on Google for the Ross Yoemanry and found it, with no Kersey name either. Kersey soon became attached to St. George Henry's Mounted Infantry, "J" Battery.

HERE IS A BIT OF CONFUSION….. YOU SAY MOUNTED INFANTRY BUT J BATTERY WAS ARTILLERY……

I have trouble deciphering the story written by Kersey himself, but the central thing I wondered is how he got into the war? Did he have to sign anything?

YES HE WOULD HAVE HAD TO FILL OUT FORMAL ENLISTMENT FORMS AND BE SWORN IN…..

Enlist with the government?

YES

Provide his own kit?

IF HE WAS AN OFFICER HE WOULD HAVE SUPPLIED MOST OF HIS OWN KIT……

Or did he just "go" in on a handshake, because of his status as a man of some "consequence".

HE MAY HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED INTO A SPECIFIC UNIT BUT WOULD STILL HAVE HAD TO FILL OUT ALL THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTS……

I read that the the first wave of soldiers in the Boer War were for the most part well-born.

A LOT OF THE YEOMANRY WERE MADE UP OF THE SO CALLED WELL BORN……

Thanks again, Mike. Milo

PLEASE SEE ENTRY FROM D.S.O. REGISTER…..

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Re: "enlisting in boer war service 11 years 4 months ago #7186

• QSAMIKE
Hi Again Milo.....

Look here on the forum.....

www.angloboerwar.com/medals-and-awards/b...uished-service-order

Just type in Kersey.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

Re: "enlisting in boer war service 11 years 4 months ago #7187

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Milo,
In addition Kersey has thee enteries in WO100 in respect of his QSA/KSA, all from the 15th IY, he is shown in WO100/126 regarding his QSA, which was issued to him on the 2nd of December 1903, with the clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Johannesburg, Diamond Hill and Belfast.
Their nominal roll in WO100/120 page 16, he is shown an Captain and Adjutant and in the KSA roll in WO100/356 page 62, which is the "XVth Regt Staff" roll, service with Ross's MG Battery is also shown.
Going back to the main roll in WO100/126, the remarks column also gives his rank as "Lieut Ross's MG Battery" and "Col Munro's Col (column) 1901.
Good luck with your book Milo.
Regards Frank

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.518 seconds