Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Cape Colony: British Army Ordinace: Corps of Royal Engineers query please 13 years 5 days ago #433

• Rox
  • Rox's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello, this is my first posting, so greetings to all from Australia and thank you for such an excellent website.
My Anglo-Boer War interest is to gain a better understanding of the following attertation record and why the British Army remained in the Cape Colonies post Anglo- Boer War, 1902 onwards
My Great Uncle, Percy Dalton was b:1885 in Stamford,Lincolnshire.
He was educated at Duke of York Royal Military School, Royal Hiberian Military School and the Industrial School under the Home Guard.
Enlistment: Woolich 8th March 1902. His attertation Short Service number is 4997, with Army Ordinance Corps - Corps of the Royal Engineers - 3rd Class Royal Engineer.
Service: "Home" 15th Feb 1902 - 29th Aug 1902
South Africa, Cape Colonies: 30th Aug 1902 - With extended service for 8 years with the Cape Colony" (Pagentry marches as in trooping of the Colours perhaps?) Discharged of his own volition: 28th Oct 1907.
Also Percy Dalton had a son, b: 1905 in Cape Town South Africa and would welcome if aware of any records of his wife or son.
Thank you for your time and consideration into my enquiry. It is very much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Cape Colony: British Army Ordinace: Corps of Royal Engineers query please 13 years 4 days ago #435

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Rox

There are two files in the Cape Town Repository of the National Archives of South Africa that refer to a Percy Dalton. Both are dated 1908. They are:

Percy Dalton - Deceased Estate papers.

Percy Dalton - Death Notice.

These records will have details of immediate family and, sometimes, other useful information.

Unfortunately, one has to get someone on site to copy documents at SA Archives and there would be a cost involved. The Cape Town Archives will provide you with a list of local researchers. If you have problems, please contact me.

The British maintained garrisons in the Cape Colony (and other Colonies), which is why Percy Dalton was serving there.

Regards
Brett

Re: Cape Colony: British Army Ordinace: Corps of Royal Engineers query please 13 years 4 days ago #436

• Rox
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you Brett
The death notice dates are plausible and might explain the reason why I have found Percy Dalton's son, Percy James Dalton, b:1905 Cape Town, SA, in the UK 1911 census, but residing with his Grandfather, Jamees, in Stamford, Lincolnshire, UK. Also there is no mention of Percy Dalton.
I will now follow up on your advice with the SA National archives.
Was there much civil unrest in the Cape Colonies, post Anglo Boer War.
I need to read up on this specific area now.
Much appreciated, again, thank you Brett :)

Re: Cape Colony: British Army Ordinace: Corps of Royal Engineers query please 13 years 4 days ago #437

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Rox

Let me know if you have difficulty in getting copies of the papers in Cape Town.

Nothing of any military significance happened in the Cape Colony between 1902 and 1910, the latter being the date when the Union of South Africa was formed. Conflict between the Germans in German South West Africa and indigenous inhabitants spilled over into the northern Cape Colony in 1907, but this involved only the Cape Police.

Also, the Cape Colony did send a military contingent to help put down the rebellion in Natal in 1906, but this was a purely Colonial conflict and did not involve any Imperial troops.

Regards
Brett

Re: Cape Colony: British Army Ordinace: Corps of Royal Engineers query please 12 years 11 months ago #549

• Rox
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Brett,
Further to my enquiry, are you able to advise how/where I search to find the name/number of the Royal Engineers regiment Percy Dalton served in, as I am hitting a 'brick wall' to find this.
Also still following up with the SA archives/Cape Town for details of the records you kindly sent me.
Kind regards
Rox in Australia

Re: Cape Colony: British Army Ordinace: Corps of Royal Engineers query please 12 years 11 months ago #552

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1884

Rox wrote: Hi Brett,
Further to my enquiry, are you able to advise how/where I search to find the name/number of the Royal Engineers regiment Percy Dalton served in, as I am hitting a 'brick wall' to find this.
Also still following up with the SA archives/Cape Town for details of the records you kindly sent me.
Kind regards
Rox in Australia

Hello Rox......

There are 4 men with the last name of Dalton listed on the medal roll for service in South Africa but none with the initial "P"..... There are, "F.W.", "J.", "T.G.", and "W.".......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.912 seconds