Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

at a loss, on how to find an old soldier 13 years 1 week ago #424

• mally
  • mally's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
hi,everyone,..this is my 1st,visit, on this forum, my ggfather went to the 2nd boer war, i have no idea of his army unit, or he may have been in the militia, he lived in n,ireland [belfast]. aged 23,married. in 1899,[john mullan]..my dad saw photos, in 1952, of a commemoration,@ city-hall belfast. with my ggfather standing proud, with his hat & medals on.. also my dad saw a photo of john mullan on a horse, & in uniform, kiki, in colour.. i did check the 1901,census, no info there,. his wife was called susan mullan.. how can i find this info on this soldier, is there a medal-card, i am sorry, if i don,t have much info, to go on,..help needed, badly....regards,..mally.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: at a loss, on how to find an old soldier 13 years 1 week ago #427

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 455
Hello

There is loads on the internet, read my guide to researching soldiers of the Anglo-Boer War .

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Re: at a loss, on how to find an old soldier 13 years 5 days ago #429

• mally
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
cheers,meurig, all i know" my ggfather was in a irish unit. if there was a list containing all,troops, who fought in the 2nd boer war,searching would be easyer, for people like me, who has not got any idea,on how to find john mullan, i did check the wo97,boxes, at kew..a few of the same name, not the guys i was looking for.. any advice...cheers,..

Re: at a loss, on how to find an old soldier 13 years 5 days ago #430

• mally
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
hi,meurig, do you have to go to kew, to view the WO96, MILITIA..& MEDAL-ROLL.. as you can see i am not the best on the pc,. i did check out yr guide, i am still in the dark on how to find this trooper,. if i don,t have his army number, or unit..his wife was still living in belfast on the 1901,census, [vere st].. thank you again for yr help...

Re: at a loss, on how to find an old soldier 13 years 5 days ago #431

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 455
Hi

The WO96 papers are at Kew - FindmyPast will be putting them on their site later this year.

I have one "John Mullan" on my site www.boerwarregister.com who was Trooper 34485 Imperial Yeomanry. But, he did not go to South Africa - a late enlistment. You would need to go to Kew and get his papers from WO128 to see if he is your man.

Can you post a picture of him in uniform with medals please?

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Re: at a loss, on how to find an old soldier 13 years 3 days ago #438

• mally
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
cheers, meurig, for yr help, if i can get a list of all john mullans listed in all irish regiments or militia, it may narrow it down for me,??. i have a number,6496,Inniskilling fusilers, i think a visit to kew is a must. for me its just getting some info to begin, with, as i don,t want it to be a wasted trip.& not knowing if i don,t know what to do when i get to kew,. my dad saw the photos of john mullan in uniform, i have e,mailed the news papers for info, of the 1952, ceremony in belfast of the 50th Anniversary..photos..they only have archive, of news papers in a library, which you have to check yr selve..they have a [PRONI] RECORDS OFFICE. which may be the best option. for info.. i am worryed if i get to kew, i will be at a loss, as where to look,..do kew have a medal-roll, of all soldiers, who went to the 2nd boer war.?.. regards,..mally..

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.525 seconds