Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1017 PTE ARTHUR ODDY: THORNEYCROFTS M.I. KIA ROOIKOP 06/09/1900 1 month 1 week ago #95308

• Moranthorse1
  • Moranthorse1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 794
Arthur Oddy was a native of Halifax, Yorkshire in the north of England. This is a very common combination of Christian name and surname in this part of the world, and was carried by many prominent people around Halifax including one Arthur Oddy who was the head of the Mechanical Institute Schools and had a relatively lavish funeral in around 1906.
Most likely related to the subject of this thread, but the Ancestry pathways become a little cloudy!
The most promising 'fit' that I can offer for his formative years as follows, taken from the 1891 Census (Findmypast):
Residing at 4 Landermere Syke, Northiwram, Halifax, Yorkshire were George H. Oddy (46) a Managing Clerk born in Queensbury, Yorkshire and his wife Sarah (39) along with their children Arthur (17) who was employed as a Chemist's Assistant and Mary Ellen (12).
At some point Arthur decided to follow his fortunes in the South African corner of the British Empire. As an uitlander, he would have felt compelled to serve in one of the many colonial regiments that were raised at the onset of hostilities with the two Boer republics. The corps he chose to attest on 12th January 1900 was an excellent one, raised by Lieutenant Colonel Alexander Thorneycrofts in 1899, Thorneycrofts Mounted Infantry were heavily involved and acquitted themselves bravely during the battle at Spion Kop.
However, there is no evidence to confirm that Arthur Oddy, who was assigned to 'E' Squadron,was present during this famous action.

Taken from 'Thorneycroft's Unbuttoned ' by Robin W. F. Drooglever:
'Oddy, Arthur,(1017), Private, E Co.,13/1/00-6/9/00. Killed @Rooikop, 6/9/00. Buried @ Standerton. QSA and 5 clasps:TH/RL/LN/TVL/OFS.

Following the commencement of the guerilla phase of the conflict the mounted elements of the imperial forces were kept busy. Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry were no exception and a notable skirmish with the Boers on 6th September 1900 was the action where Arthur was to enter Valhalla. Again, I am grateful for the ability to reference the work of Robin W. F. Drooglever this:

"The English matched the Boers in the fragmentation of their forces. It was stated by 'Linesman' that the T.M.I. were broken up into a"half dozen detachments to inflict as many annoyances daily upon the Dutchmen". However, one such incident became a"little tragedy " and it took place"up on the shoulder of glum, round-backed Rooikopji".

"On the 7th September 1900 Captain Edward Molyneux was with E Company T. M. I. on patrol near Rooikopies, three and a half miles west of Standerton, when they were ambushed by a large number of Boers at Rooikopies, a farm a mile to the north of Rooikopies. The company fought it's way out of a hazardous situation. Four men were killed and 3 wounded, including Captain Molyneux. Among the killed was Sergeant W. C. Corbett (203) the Yank of F Company, and the subject of frequent reference in Frank Crozier's book, Angels on Horseback. Crozier heard second-hand that the patrol was surrounded. The Boers sent in a flag of truce and asked the men to surrender. Corbett was reported as saying 'To hell, fight o," to his men, and shortly afterwards was shot dead. Privates Alex Nelson (6203) and Walter Strong (4559) were mentioned in despatches for gallant conduct, and both later received the Distinguished Conduct Medal. Neilson, although defined as: slightly injured ' was invalided out of the corps., but Strong was promoted to Sergeant. Buller had nothing but praise for Molyneux in his despatches:" , Captain Molyneux, 12 th Bengal Lancers, a dashing and capable leader of men, had distinguished himself on several occasions." No mention was made of Corbett. Is this another Crozier fabrication?"

Footnote 486 from page194:
"Killed were Sergeants W. C. Corbett (203) and R. Jones(864), and Privates H. Kannigiesen)430) and A. Oddy (1017). Wounded: Captain Molyneux, Corporal D. H. Jones (283) and Private A. Neilson (6203). (See SAFF Casualties).

Queen's South Africa medal awarded posthumously to 1017 Private Arthur Oddy: Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry.

Impressed number, rank and name to the rim.

Impressed regimental naming to the rim.

Monument 1 at Standerton Cemetery commemorating Pte. A. Oddy and his comrades who were killed in action at Rooikopies and Tor. A. Bawden who died at Watervaal in another skirmish.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sturgy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1017 PTE ARTHUR ODDY: THORNEYCROFTS M.I. KIA ROOIKOP 06/09/1900 1 month 1 week ago #95310

• Moranthorse1
WEST VIEW PARK,
WARLEY ROAD,
HALIFAX,
CALDERDALE,
WEDT YORKSHIRE,
HX2 0BQ.

ORDNANCE SURVEY GRID REFERENCE:SE0697524934.

1017 Private Arthur Oddy is also commemorated on this impressive and imposing memorial to the Boet War fallen of Halifax.

Entrance gate to West View Park.

The South Africa monument.

Private A. Oddy of Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry named on this panel in the right hand column.

1017 PTE ARTHUR ODDY: THORNEYCROFTS M.I. KIA ROOIKOP 06/09/1900 1 month 1 week ago #95311

• Moranthorse1
HALIFAX MINSTER,
ST. JOHN'S CHURCH,
CHURCH STREET,
HALIFAX,
WEST YORKSHIRE,
HX1 1QL.

ORDNANCE SURVEY GRID REFERENCE:SE0974025206.

Arthur Oddy is further commemorated within the impressive Halifax Minster.

Entrance gate to the Minster.

View of church from grounds.

View of Boer War memorials on interior walls.

Brass memorial plaque to the men of Halifax who died in South Africa.

Arthur Oddy named on this section of the memorial plaque, which is kept in pristine condition. The blue background certainly makes an impressive visual impact on the visitor.

The citizens of Halifax were/are obviously very proud of the sacrifices made by their sons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jim51, Sturgy

1017 PTE ARTHUR ODDY: THORNEYCROFTS M.I. KIA ROOIKOP 06/09/1900 1 month 1 week ago #95314

• Clive Stone
  • Thank you received: 40
What a magnificent monument
thank you
Clive

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.241 seconds