Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

British South Africa Company Medal with Three Clasps 5 months 2 weeks ago #94111

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 892
Simon,

Googling "Thomas William Glover South African Pioneer" leads to an on-line paper in PDF format in which he gets 4 mentions:

THE CENTRAL AFRICA JOURNAL OF MEDICINE. VOL. 4. No.4. APRIL, 1958

“Some Notes on Police Pioneer Doctors and others BY COLONEL A. S. HICKMAN, M.B.E. Formerly Commissioner of the British South Africa Police.”

Below is a paragraph from the paper in which he receives his first two mentions – the period in question is 1890/01. His subsequent two mentions are in the next couple of paras and are not so dramatic.

“During this period there occurred a ghastly yet heroic episode which illustrates the hazards to which the Pioneer Police were exposed. Troopers Thomas William Glover and T. Matthews, of A Troop, were stationed at a detached post near Macequece when both went down with malaria and were deserted by their Native servants. Matthews died on 17th March, 1891, and for over a week Glover lay helpless with the corpse in the same hut. He was at his last gasp when rescued by Lieut. the Hon. Eustace Fiennes. His note reporting sickness had been brought to (Old) Umtali. where a rescue party was organised, consisting of the officer, Sgt. Thomas Paxton and Trooper B. O'Hara, all of them good swimmers.”

Doing a name search on this site comes up with:
Glover Thomas Wm Trooper BSACM Matabeleland 1893 (0). Source: BSACM rolls Unit: Salisbury Horse

I have downloaded the PDF and happy to forward if you message me an email address.

Regards, David.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

British South Africa Company Medal with Three Clasps 5 months 2 weeks ago #94113

• Simon Pearce
  • Simon Pearce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi Dave,
Yes, he enlisted in The Salisbury Horse in the late summer of 1893, and records signing his attestation and the ordnance he was supplied with on page 53 of his account.

Kind regards,

Simon

British South Africa Company Medal with Three Clasps 5 months 2 weeks ago #94115

• Simon Pearce
  • Simon Pearce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 4
Thank you, David, for your message. His account documents first hand the fever experience, and mentions the various publications in which it is recounted (we are also selling several related books, some of which mention that event). I still can't quite understand why the BSACM rolls unit only mentions Matabeleland 1893 and not the other two clasps!

Thanks again,

Simon

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.287 seconds