Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

More Information about Great Grand-uncle (SAC Trooper - Scotland) 3 months 6 days ago #93700

• thekatplanet
  • thekatplanet's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello! I'm searching for more resources about the South African Constabulary where my G-Grand Uncle (Stephen Rowan) was a trooper.
I'm curious to know more about the conditions of where he was and any significant events that took place.

I'll paste the info below, but in a nutshell:
He joined up from Glasgow when he was 21 years old in March 1901. He died of typhoid in October 1901 in the South African Constabulary Hospital in Heidelberg. He is also buried there. If anyone has any historical insights into the life of a trooper or the SAC division/force he was in during this short span of time, would love to hear.
i.e. - What was the condition of Heidelberg at the time?
- How did one contract typhoid
- Information on Scottish recruits
- Notable events in the area during the above time period
- General conditions of a trooper

His memorial was written by a Trooper named "S. Watt".

I have a picture of him, so if anyone has a keen eye and can spot any details in it (medals etc) I'd love to hear from you.
Here are the details below:

S Rowan
Casualty Type Died
Casualty Date 21 Nov 1901
Casualty Place Heidelberg
Rank Trooper
Force South Africa Field Force
Regiment South African Constabulary
Battalion C Division
Number 208

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More Information about Great Grand-uncle (SAC Trooper - Scotland) 3 months 6 days ago #93703

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4522
Hello,

We can help with come of your questions. Others will need more time and research buy we can give you some pointers.

Typhoid fever is caused by a type of bacteria called Salmonella typhi. In conditions of poor sanitation, infected human waste can contaminate the water supply. People who drink contaminated water or eat food washed in contaminated water can develop typhoid fever.

Have a look at this review of the SAC: www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/so...constabulary?start=1

Steve Watt was a researcher who published a book containing a list of those who died during the Boer War. It is a widely cited reference for casualties.

There is a book you will find useful. By Ian Uys, it is called 'HEIDELBERGERS OF THE BOER WAR'. Published in 1981.

Described as:

This is the story of the people of Heidelberg.The men, women and children who lived in the shadow of the Suikerbosrand mountains and on the banks of the Blesbospruit. Although predominantly Boers, they were from all nationalities and walks of life. When war clouds loomed the people of this small dorp stood together, fought and died together, and will be remembered for the manner of their so doing... Illustrated ends. ix,plus map- 277 pages detail, with numerous illustrations-history-into war-and aftermath.

Diana Portman has been researching the SAC and may have papers relating to him that, if they exist, will be available for a fee. Her company can be reached at [email protected]

Good luck!
David
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.473 seconds