Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

BULLER/RELIEF OF LADYSMITH MEDALLION IN THE BARGAIN BASEMENT 3 months 1 week ago #93680

• Moranthorse1
  • Moranthorse1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 764
Recently acquired from everyone's favourite online auction site, I recently picked up the medallion as shown in the following images for very small change.

Medallion disc of white metal suspended below a pin for hanging for wear of a crown soldered to a crown.
In the centre of the medallion a bust of General Sir Reverse Buller VC. Around the edge inscribed this: " GENERAL SIR REDVERS BULLER V.C. 1900"

To the reverse: " RELIEF OF LADYSMITH MARCH 1ST 1900.
BESIEGED 119 DAYS BIRM"

BIRM obviously tells us that the manufacturer was from Birmingham.

I have seen this medallion many times before without the crown suspender pin. I wonder if the crown and pin are original? Or if , Indeed, the issue of this medallion was of the period, or for collectors at a later date?

Perhaps it was distributed to schoolchildren at the declaration of peace in 1900?

Any input would certainly help to answer any of the above questions.

Cheers Steve
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neville_C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

BULLER/RELIEF OF LADYSMITH MEDALLION IN THE BARGAIN BASEMENT 3 months 1 week ago #93681

• Neville_C
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1991
Similar idea, but commemorating the Relief of Mafeking. Also made by Sale of Birmingham.

White metal medal by "SALE BIRM".
Obverse: bust of "COL'NL BADEN-POWELL / THE HERO OF MAFEKING".
Reverse: "RELIEF OF MAFEKING / MAY 18TH 1900 / BESIEGED 218 DAYS".

Suspended from brass Q.V. crown.

See Hern 2008, p.150, No 650 (gilt version).

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

BULLER/RELIEF OF LADYSMITH MEDALLION IN THE BARGAIN BASEMENT 3 months 1 week ago #93682

• Moranthorse1
Thank you Neville. It was pleasing to see the crown of Victoria suspension, at least I know my Buller/Relief of Ladysmith example is correct.
It also begs the question whether there was one of the same design issued for Relief of Kimberley?
Cheers Steve

BULLER/RELIEF OF LADYSMITH MEDALLION IN THE BARGAIN BASEMENT 3 months 1 week ago #93683

• Neville_C
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1991
Steve,

I cannot find any record of a Sale & Co commemorative medal for the Relief of Kimberley.
Kimberley, as usual, appears to have been left off the list of events worth commemorating. I suspect this might have been due to Kekewich's lower ranking on the military celebrity table. Indeed, off the top of my head, I cannot think of a single medallion sporting Kekewich's likeness.

Neville

BULLER/RELIEF OF LADYSMITH MEDALLION IN THE BARGAIN BASEMENT 3 months 1 week ago #93696

• Moranthorse1
Neville,

I'm pretty sure I've not seen anything with Colonel Kekewich's head on either.
I suspect that the force of nature that was Cecil Rhodes would probably have insisted upon his head appearing on the obverse of any medallion celebrating The Relief of Kimberley!!

Steve

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.608 seconds