Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

William Henry Cole 9 months 1 week ago #91107

• findahero
  • findahero's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Please if anyone can tell me what regiment William Henry Cole was in and any other information, maybe if or when he died if he was still in the military.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you
Sharleen Nell
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

William Henry Cole 9 months 1 week ago #91145

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1178
Hello Sharleen Nell

24th Regiment of Foot . 24th ( The 2nd Warwickshire) Regiment of Foot. ( Note: This regiment went onto be named the South Wales Borderers in 1881)

Looking at the baptism record you provided, Private William Cole served in the 1st Battalion 24th Regiment of Foot.

The 1st Battalion had been in South Africa since 1875, campaigning in West Griqualand in 1875 and in the Galeka War of 1877-78.

Interestingly, if you look at the entry marked in blue. You can see the name Teignmouth Melvill. This gentleman went on to serve at the battle of Isandhlwana during the Zulu war. He was the chap along with Coghill who had supposedly been given the task of saving the colours of the 24th by Commanding officer Lt- Colonel Henry Pulleine.

I will leave you to research Melvill at your leisure. As there was controversy surrounding their actions and Victoria Cross award which was posthumously awarded in 1907( 28 years after the action)

However, I decided to check the casualty lists from Islandhlwana and Rorke's Drift to see if your man was present. Unfortunately, no William Henry Cole recorded. There was a 334 Private Albert Cole who died at Islandhlwana. And 2 Coles at Rorke's Drift . 1459 Private Robert Cole F company and 801 Private Thomas Cole B company who was shot in the head defending the retrenchment barricade.

I will do a little more digging pertaining to William Henry Cole later this week. It's possible he did serve in Griqualand and the Galeka campaign. All we need to do now, is try and find some evidence. Perhaps fellow forum members maybe able to help? If you have any more details on William? Where he was born or DoB may prove useful.

Best wishes

Dave.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.394 seconds