• Page:

TOPIC:

Another Boer War Sweetheart Badge? 10 months 1 week ago #89886

• fdraskovic
  • fdraskovic's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
I've had this Boer War badge for years and decided today was the day to identify it. I assumed it was a sweetheart badge and did a search of past forum topics, finding this one the most pertinent,
www.angloboerwar.com/forum/2-introductio...etheart-brooch#74249
As shown in the obverse and reverse scans, it's in the shape of an indented formy or paty cross with red enameled arms, superimposed with a pierced crown (Victoria type I think) and a band below containing "SOUTH AFRICA 1900-02". The center medallion shows St. George mounted with "QUEEN VICTORIA'S" around. Originally made as a pinback with a vertical pin, the pin itself has been removed and a loop has been added to the back of the crown, presumably to wear around the neck on a chain. It is a well made badge, gilt and, where the gilding has worn through, appears to be silver, though not hallmarked, or another white metal. Dimensions are 36mm wide, 51mm high and it weighs 16.3 grams. The top part of the design is almost identical to the blackened Queen's Westminsters badge shown in the above link (is that a cap badge?), and if these exist in this form, there are likely to be other unit badges similar to these, possibly produced by the same maker.
My question is...what unit was might this be? i suspect forum members will know at a glance. Comments appreciated.
Many thanks, Frank Draskovic in Los Angeles
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another Boer War Sweetheart Badge? 10 months 1 week ago #89890

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1165
Hello Frank

I believe your example to be a Queen Victoria Rifles badge, possibly WW1 with Kings Crown?

The 9th County of London Battalion. The origins of the regiment go back to 1860 and various Volunteers ie the 1st and 19th Middlesex Volunteers Rifle Corps sent detachments to South Africa both as part of the City Imperial Volunteers and were used as reinforcing the regular battalions of the KRRC (Kings Royal Rifle Corps)

Best wishes

Dave.......
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:

Another Boer War Sweetheart Badge? 10 months 1 week ago #89891

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
I have had at one time or another several of these....... Along with the Red badge I have had Green, Blue and Yellow enamel...... I have always thought that they were a fantasy badge and not official......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Another Boer War Sweetheart Badge? 10 months 6 days ago #89899

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1165
Hi Frank
A link to sweet heart brooches QVR
regimentalbrooches.com/shop.php?c=294
I think we have ascertained the Regiment your example represents. As for it's use or pedigree, more research may be required as per Mike's post.

Dave......
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

Another Boer War Sweetheart Badge? 10 months 5 days ago #89913

• fdraskovic
  • fdraskovic's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello Dave & Mike,
Many thanks to you both for your valuable comments. No doubt, the unit is Queen Victoria's Rifles. Prior to my post, I leaned toward it being a sweetheart brooch, as it shows significant age and wear, first as a pinback brooch then changed to a neck pendant, lovingly worn for a long period of time. Did a mother or wife lose her son or husband in South Africa?
A more modern fantasy or made for collectors item would remain in mint condition or nearly so, even after years in a drawer. Also, the various colors seen on QVR items at the regimentalbrooches website indicate that color variation alone wouldn't disqualify a sweetheart item of the period, let's say the first third of the 20th century.
Once again, my sincere thanks. Best wishes, Frank D.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.734 seconds