Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Next of Kin Information for soldiers serving in the Anglo Boer War 1 year 2 days ago #89616

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2142
You might have his Naval record? He joined after being in the Yeomanry

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: gavmedals

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Next of Kin Information for soldiers serving in the Anglo Boer War 1 year 2 days ago #89620

• fseville
  • fseville's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to reply to my request for information and, especially so, as you have looked elsewhere. My grandfather was actually Church of Ireland (i.e. a Protestant) and married a Portsmouth girl in 1905 and settled down close to the Plymouth naval base. Because records are so appalling in Ireland I have been able to locate hardly any information about his siblings and parents or even a birth certificate. So I was hoping the British Army could help me out but just another cul de ssc !

Next of Kin Information for soldiers serving in the Anglo Boer War 1 year 2 days ago #89621

• fseville
  • fseville's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Thank you so much, Rory for your work on my behalf. Yes I have this and Wikipedia has proved to be a goldmine of information about the ships he served on. As a point of information if you look at the bottom right hand side of the Record you will see he was awarded the DSM for his bravery on board Q ship - HMS Stockforce. It took me five years to find it but was able to buy it back a year ago for the family. I will probably go over to Dublin in the future to do some work at their public records office but I am not holding my breath, as iIrsh records are awful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

Next of Kin Information for soldiers serving in the Anglo Boer War 1 year 2 days ago #89625

• Clive Stone
  • Thank you received: 40
What a treasure trove of information methodically noted by hand and so long before modern means of communication and recording of information
Clive
The following user(s) said Thank You: fseville

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.528 seconds