Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Confused over my Irish Grandfathers medals. 1 year 2 weeks ago #89287

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175

Elaine114 wrote: Thank you both for your quick response.

I can't understand why I can find some details of first world war but nothing else.

Fingers crossed.

It may be possible he served in a different regiment in South Africa, hence my question.
Also he may not have served at all and the Boer War medals may belong to another family member. On my 1st trawl of the QSA medal rolls for a L Mangan Leinster Regiment, I didn't find a match. Will have another look later.

Dave....
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Confused over my Irish Grandfathers medals. 1 year 1 week ago #89314

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hello Elaine

With ref to your relation Laurence/Lawrence Henry Mangan.
I have had a look at the 250 plus medal rolls for the Leinster Regiment pertaining to the Queens South Africa medal. If my eyes didn't deceive me after looking at all the regimental numbers and surnames beginning with M. I'm afraid I didn't find a match for 6793 Private L Mangan.
However, it is possible he did serve during the Boer War. His regimental number 6793 would have had him joining the Leinster Regiment sometime in the 1st quarter of 1902. The medal rolls cover 1st, 2nd,3rd,and 4th battalions who were eligible for a QSA medal.
I also checked the Leinster milita battalion who were attached to a Lancashire regiment, as I thought your relation had a Lancashire connection. Alas, still no match. The Irish 1901 census has a Laurence Mangan aged 17 working as a Farm Servant. The 1911 census has a 28 year old Laurence working for a different family as a servant. His WW1 medal information records him as serving in the 2nd Battalion Leinster Regiment as a Private 6793, along with his time in the Army Service Corps regimental number 40643. Ancestry has a few family trees dedicated to Laurence and the image of him serving as a Corporal looking very proud in his home guard uniform which I believe you mentioned in your original post? I hope you don't mind? I have posted the image and If you look closely at his medal ribbons, although the detail is unclear. I believe the ribbon far left maybe a QSA alongside his WW1 trio ribbons. I maybe wrong and I would welcome fellow forum members to clarify. There is another possibility, Laurence may have used a false name when he attested for the Leinster regiment. It wasn't unusual for recruits to use a mothers maiden name. If at some point you could provide any additional clues, we may get lucky and discover if Private L Mangan did serve in the later stage of the Anglo Boer War.

Dave.......

Courtesy of Ancestry. Laurence Mangan . WW2 Corporal Home Guard.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elaine114

Confused over my Irish Grandfathers medals. 1 year 1 week ago #89317

• Elaine114
  • Elaine114's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello Dave F,

A big thank you for taking the time to look into this for me, much appreciated.

I am trying to get the details of the inscription on that medal, so fingers crossed. I will try looking into if Laurence Mangan used another name too.

I do have a photo of his medals (very tatty ribbons), will try to attach to this post.

Again thanks for taking the time to look for me. I hope to get an answer about the inscription soon.

Elaine.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.450 seconds