TOPIC:

Confused over my Irish Grandfathers medals. 1 year 3 weeks ago #89281

• Elaine114
  • Elaine114's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello,
My name is Elaine and I recently started to research my family history on both sides. My Mothers side is hard going, but I am interested in her father and have managed to find some information out. She always told us the story that he had been in the 2nd Boer War, the first world war with the Leinster Regt and was too old for the 2nd world war so was in the home guard, living in the UK by that time.

My cousin has his medals (very tatty and sad looking), There is a Queens South Africa Medal 1902, with Transvaal and Orange Free State on it, along with his other medals.

I can find his record with the Leinster Regt for his first world war service but nothing at all for the Boer War.

Any ideas what I should try next? where to look, everything is coming back with no results. I joined Ancestry UK - but have had no joy there. I feel a little bit stuck.

His name was Laurence Mangan (often misspelled as Lawrence) born on 21st Sept 1883. Reg No M40643 Service Number 6793

I will try and attach a photo of his tatty medals and his 1914 record

If anyone has any ideas of how I can find out about the South Africa one I would be grateful. This is all new to me and quite slow going.

Thanks in advance.

Oh dear the photos I have exceed the size allowed, I now need to figure out how to sort that out, for now I will post this and come back with the photos later.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Confused over my Irish Grandfathers medals. 1 year 3 weeks ago #89282

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
Hi Elaine

There are broadly three avenues you can take.

First you can find the medal rolls on Ancestry. Post the details on here as to his number, name, unit etc. and maybe someone can help you look.

Second, you might if you are lucky be able to find a file. This could be on FindMyPast too. But a Leinster collector is more likely to be able to help by knowing where to look. You can also ask on Medal Collecting or British Military Medal Collectors Group on Facebook as there is more traffic there.

Third, you can read up on the Leinsters generally in the Boer War to understand what they did.

Good luck.
Ryan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elaine114

Confused over my Irish Grandfathers medals. 1 year 3 weeks ago #89283

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hello Elaine114

Welcome to the forum.

Can I ask a quick question? What name and regimental number is inscribed on the Queens South Africa medal? And his place of birth if possible?

Many thanks

Dave.......
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

Confused over my Irish Grandfathers medals. 1 year 3 weeks ago #89284

• Elaine114
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I will have to ask my cousin who actually owns the medals, they look in a sorry state, ribbons are terrible. Would it be inscribed around the edge?

He was born in Dublin on 21st Sept 1883. His full name was Laurence Henry Mangan, though it was often spelled wrong.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

Confused over my Irish Grandfathers medals. 1 year 3 weeks ago #89285

• Elaine114
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you both for your quick response.

I can't understand why I can find some details of first world war but nothing else.

Fingers crossed.

Confused over my Irish Grandfathers medals. 1 year 3 weeks ago #89286

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Many thanks for the information , Yes the inscription is around the edge of the medal.

Dave......
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.434 seconds