TOPIC:

Murray's Horse turned into Murray's Scouts 11 months 3 weeks ago #89234

• Pietrasanta
  • Pietrasanta's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello Anglo Boer War wizards,

Is there a list of names that accompanies the photo on this site under Murray's Scouts?
If I understand it correctly, Murray's Scouts was disbanded in 1900...so anyone in the original Murray's Horse which started up in October 1899 and turned into Murray's Scouts did not in fact serve for very long? Of course I am still after great uncle Roxby Balneavis Baker who, to all accounts appears could have been in the Murray's Horse regiment number 599.
Thanks a lot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Murray's Horse turned into Murray's Scouts 11 months 3 weeks ago #89235

• Rob D
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 720
The page www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/so...ts/427-murrays-horse describes this unit, and the medal roll of 199 members follows lower down the page. No R B Baker, though.
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Murray's Horse turned into Murray's Scouts 11 months 3 weeks ago #89237

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1165
As previously mentioned, in your original post ref R B Baker it was Marshalls Horse not Murray's. In which he served.
Corporal 599 R B Baker

Copy of my previous post.
If Roxby decided to go against his brothers will to fight for the Boers, he may have decided to join a South African unit. The only contender I could find was a Corporal R B Baker 599 Marshall's Horse. This chap attested on the 15th November 1899. It may be prudent to contact the Ancestry family tree contributors, they may be able to help? But it seems that the military information they have is very sketchy.

Dave......
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

Murray's Horse turned into Murray's Scouts 11 months 3 weeks ago #89238

• Pietrasanta
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello Dave,thank you for your message. Yes, I feel that R B Baker no 599 Marshall's Horse (not Murray's Hprse) may well be my uncle R B Baker. Mainly because his uncle, Walter Headland Valentine Baker who was living in Durban joined the Murray's Horse and then later went on to be a member of the Johannesburg Mounted Rifles". You can see his wikitree entry here: www.wikitree.com/wiki/Baker-27463 . So, it is quite possible that the uncle influenced the nephew to join the British side, while Colin Balneavis , brother and nephew joined the Boers.

I have not followed your advice of ' prudent to contact the Ancestry family tree contributors, they may be able to help? But it seems that the military information they have is very sketchy.' only because I don't know how to access the Ancestry family tree contributors. As said a while ago I am dyslexic and finding my way around these sites takes me forever... I dreadfully afraid I am going to mess something up...

I am still desperately trying to find what happened to Roxby Balneavis Baker. Where did he die? When? And, is there a diary-agenda of sorts which will tell me what skirmishes the Marshall's Horse regiment were involved with. Thanks a lot again.

Murray's Horse turned into Murray's Scouts 11 months 3 weeks ago #89239

• Pietrasanta
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello Rob, thank you for your message. I was wrong. Roxby Balneavis Baker rode with the Marshall's Horse regiment no. 599. So the photo is of no use to me.

My confusion with my dyslexia kicking in.... apologiies but thanks again for responding

Murray's Horse turned into Murray's Scouts 11 months 3 weeks ago #89240

• Rob D
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 720
I note you ask: 'I am still desperately trying to find what happened to Roxby Balneavis Baker. Where did he die? When? And, is there a diary-agenda of sorts which will tell me what skirmishes the Marshall's Horse regiment were involved with. Thanks a lot again.'
The activities of Marshall's Horse are shown here:
www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/so.../704-marshalls-horse
Elmarie has already posted for you the list of dead from Marshall's Horse; R B Baker is not among them.
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.439 seconds