TOPIC:

Introduction Major A. A. Gordon Society 1 year 1 month ago #88787

• Callaerts
  • Callaerts's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi,

I want to introduce myself and the Major A. A. Gordon Society on this forum. I'm the founder and current president of the society dedicated to preserving the life of Major Archibald Alexander Gordon and his family.
Major Gordon was the younger brother of one who earned the Victoria Cross in the Second Boer War, William Eagleson Gordon and older brother to Robert Aaron Gordon, also a Boer War veteran with the Royal Scots. Half-brother of George Freer Jr and brother to his younger sisters Emily MacKenzie Gordon, married Black and Helen Isabelle Gordon married Nicholson. Father of William Hyde Eagleson Gordon, who lost his life during the Battle of Loos on 30 September 1915 and Edmund Robert Adam Gordon, who fought in de Great War and died in 1932. Major Gordon outlived them all, except for his younger sister Helen Nicholson, who passed away in 1949 in his hometown, Bridge of Allan, and finds his rest at Logie Cemetery, Stirling.

Major Gordon held the following and many more esteemed positions during his life: Honorary Secretary of the Franco-Scottish Society, member of the Royal Company of Archers, Secretary for the establishment of the Queen Victoria School in Dunblane, co-founder of the 9th Royal Scots, Private Secretary to the 4th Duke of Wellington, organiser of the Belgian Relief Fund, a veteran of the siege and retreat from Antwerp in 1914, Belgian King's Messenger for the King and Queen of the Belgians from 1914 until 1922 and saviour of the mosaics of the Church of the Multiplication at Tabgha, Galilee, Israel.

Our society is an Anglo-Belgian Society based in Belgium since 2019 and holds many essential artefacts from Major Gordon and his family, held in the Kings Messenger Collection. The Society is currently doing research for a biography on Major Gordon. As president, I'm constantly looking for more information and providing a lot of content for our monthly newsletter.

You can find more information on our website: www.aagordon.be
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Neville_C, Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.330 seconds