• Page:

TOPIC:

Pannell's or Pammell's Scouts 1 year 2 months ago #88340

• EdPerk
  • EdPerk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm afraid I just want to tap your collective knowledge in case you can help me in research regarding the life of a man who was, I think, too young to serve in the Boer War but enlisted in Natal in 1906 and fought in the Zulu Uprising.
1n 1901 he was a 14-year-old boy on the crew of a coaster and wrote a short diary of his experience on board. But the first page wasn't about his routine but was headed 'Pannell's Scouts Uniform', (It might read Pammell's.)
Then followed six sketches. The first is labelled 'Pannell's Scouts' Sword'. The second 'Lee.Buxton's Carbine with Sturgeon's Bayonet'. Next is what looks to my layman's eye like a field gun labelled something like 'Pannell's 12-time repeating gun'. ' Then a drawing of a bicycle marked 'Bicycle 'for Scouting' and finally a picture of what looks to me like a prototype armoured car, though with a funnel for steam, unlikely as that sounds!
The remaining pages of his sea diary are solely about his life as a crew member.
Can anyone tell me what Pannell's Scouts were, if they existed, and if there was such a thing as a Pannell's Scout's Sword or a Lee Buxton's Carbine etc? (Baden Powell's Scouting For Boys, obviously came into existence years later but he used Scouts at Mafeking, I believe?) Any guidance gratefully accepted.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pannell's or Pammell's Scouts 1 year 2 months ago #88464

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hello EdPerk

Welcome to the forum.

An intriguing post indeed. I have had a good trawl through the records and there is nothing jumping out reference Pannells or Pammells scouts. As for the drawings by Master Sturgeon, I couldn't link a Lee Buxton carbine, Pannells sword or the 12 time repeating pistol. It may be possible they were his comrades during his naval service? For example, Buxton's Lee Metford or Enfield rifle with his (Sturgeons) Bayonet.
You mentioned Mafeking and Baden Powell's scouts. There certainly was a Mafeking Cadet Corps. In fact the Sergeant major Warner Goodyear was their leader aged 13. In relation to Mafeking, Master Sturgeons last 3 sketches could pertain to the above, the machine gun and the cycle were certainly used at Mafeking. The young cadet Corps transported messages at first with donkeys, unfortunately the donkeys were required later on in the seige as a valued food supply. They were replaced by bicycles. Looking closely at the Armoured car sketch, it could be possible he has added what looks like train wheels at the rear? This could be a crude sketch of the Armoured train which was also connected to Mafeking. I did have a look at the medal roll for the Mafeking cadets, unfortunately there was no Buxton or Pannell mentioned. The only medal roll I found ref F O Sturgeon was as you have mentioned for service in the 1906 Natal Rebellion, where he served in the Natal Service Corps.
Apologies for lack of clarity regarding your request, the above are just my humble thoughts.

Dave.......
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

Pannell's or Pammell's Scouts 1 year 2 months ago #88465

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175

Possible the above may have been related whilst serving in 1906?
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:

Pannell's or Pammell's Scouts 1 year 2 months ago #88466

• EdPerk
  • EdPerk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Many thanks for your help. FO Sturgeon is indeed the same lad grown up. (He left the service to join a farm in Natal.) Drawings are still odd. Thanks again.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.434 seconds