Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

THE BAREHAM BROTHERS; FAMILY MEDALS REUNITED 1 year 4 months ago #87737

• Moranthorse1
  • Moranthorse1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 781
Following Rory's thread inviting forummers to post their top single acquisition of 2022, I had four possible contenders for my own personal collecting accolade!
However, there could be only one winner!

I would like to now inform the forum of one of the artefacts just pipped to the post, which brought a smile to my face in 2022.

Way back to the DNW sale of Wednesday 14th April 2021, I got the lucky bid on Lot 511, which was a single claspless QSA to Mr. E.P.Bareham. He was a civilian who worked in South Africa as one of only four War Office Clerks. Initially, I had trouble in raising Mr. Bareham's medal roll, but following my appeal to the forum, RobCT kindly forwarded the relevant pages as shown below, confirming his job title, entitlement and department.

Queen's South Africa medal awarded to Mr. Edward Preston Bareham, War Office Clerk. The medal is in a bright NEF condition, almost as minted.

Medal roll WO100/233 "Army Stationery Depot Cape Town (attached) Army Ordnance Department"

As one of only four War Office Clerks on the medal rolls, perhaps we can let our imaginations run away with us as to what information, and from whom, may have passed through his hands during the conflict.

More on Edward later on in this thread.

Continuing my tale of reunification, back in January 2022, I was trawling through the Boer War offerings on e-bay, when I came across a trio of medals comprising of a five clasp QSA to the Imperial Yeomanry and World War One War and Victory medals. They were named to 13749 Trooper F. P. Bareham (QSA) and 32453 Private F. P. Bareham for the Great War pair.

Trio of medals to Frederick Percy Bareham

Bareham is not a common surname, seldom encountered.
It couldn't be? Could it?

A very quick search of the usual FMP and Ancestry sites revealed much information, along with Familysearch.
I was then able to confirm that Edward Preston Bareham and Frederick Percy Bareham were, in fact, definitely brothers.
Armed with this confirmation, I made sure that I won the auction to bring these family medals back together.

As an aside, the reunite almost didn't happen! The seller saw fit to put medals and paperwork together in a plain paper A4 envelope which arrived torn and with the medals hanging out of the bottom of the envelope!

This was my first reunite.

Much more to follow with biographical detail of the Bareham brothers in due course.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, QSAMIKE, Rory, Sturgy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

THE BAREHAM BROTHERS; FAMILY MEDALS REUNITED 1 year 4 months ago #87739

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1884
Sorry but unable to read the four names on the roll.... Can you please advise what they are......
Thanks.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

THE BAREHAM BROTHERS; FAMILY MEDALS REUNITED 1 year 4 months ago #87740

• Moranthorse1
Hi Mike,

The four names as follows:

War Office Clerk Macdonald W. R.
War Office Clerk Bareham E. P.
War Office Clerk Tate W.H.
War Office Clerk Pierce T.J.

Well worth knowing the names in case any of the other three turn up for sale.

Cheers Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, QSAMIKE

THE BAREHAM BROTHERS; FAMILY MEDALS REUNITED 1 year 4 months ago #87756

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4557
Steve,

That is a great story. How nice to reunite the brothers after all this time.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

THE BAREHAM BROTHERS; FAMILY MEDALS REUNITED 1 year 4 months ago #87759

• Moranthorse1
BIOGRAPHICAL DETAIL FOR THE BAREHAM BROTHERS

EDWARD PRESTON BAREHAM
Edward was born in April 1865 at Clerkenwell, Middlesex, England.

The Census of 1871 tells us that he was a six year old living in Islington, London, Middlesex along with his father (32) who was a secretary by profession, mother Emily (33), brother James S(8) and sister Elizabeth M(2). 14 year old Alice Mahoney was also present at the address but it is unclear whether she was a relative or employed as a domestic servant by the Bareham's (I would think most likely the latter).

Census 1881 has the family still residing at Islington, father James, now 42, had obviously climbed up the ladder of promotion for now he was described as Secretary to Joint Stock Co.(C S Clk). Edward does not appear on this Census, as a 15 year old he could have still been within the education system for young gentlemen.
The family had grown since the last stocktake. Francis A(9), Harriet A(5), Emily M(2) and Frederick Percy (0) were now part of the family.

On May 5th1882, Edward was mentioned in the London Gazette following his appointment to the Civil Service Commission on May 1st 1882, I quote:
"Civil Service Commission, may 1, 1882.
THE Civil Service Commissioners hereby give notice, that the Candidates hereinafter named have passed the Preliminary Examination for Second Class Clerkships in the India Office, and for Men Clerkships in the Lower Division of the Civil Service,Viz:-
Of the Candidates namedon April 25,1882-
Bareham, Edward Preston "

So it would appear that Edward was to follow in his father's footsteps in the clerical profession.

Edward was 26 in 1891 Census and now living as a single man, still with the rest of the family at Etherow Street, Camberwell, Southwark, London. By he occupation was a Civil C Writer in the 2nd Division of the Civil Service. Frederick Percy was now a 10 year old scholar.
Father James was now a Raw Silk Assayer.

The trail runs a little cold now, the next reference to Edward is his appearance on the medal rolls as a War Office Clerk in South Africa during the Anglo Boer War. The medal rolls are dealt with in the opening post of this thread.
It would be fascinating to know the nature and content of the bureaucratic paperwork that Edward and his three fellow WO Clerks would have processed and who he may have rubbed shoulders with! One would surmise that much of what landed on their desks and reeled off their typewriters could have been higher level information. I suspect that ihey would have had underlings to complete office duties? All supposition on my part!

South Africa was obviously to his liking as he stayed on for a while and was to meet his future wife there.
Edward and Clara Marie Ross(divorcee born in the Transvaal) were married on June 8th 1903 at Wynberg and are noted as both living at Seapoint.
Clara had two sons from a previous marriage Hunter and Carl Ross both born in Cape Colony. They were joined by sister Marie Bareham in 1904, also born in the Cape.
The family then at some point came to England to live in Finchley, Middlesex. The 1911 Census adds another two daughters to the family of Edward and Clara. Elsa, born 1907 and Cecily in 1909. Both born in Finchley.

The 1921 Census finds Edward at the age of 56 living at 39 King's Avenue, Muswell Hill, London. He was still employed by the War Office and based in Whitehall SW1.
Wife Clara and their three daughters were also part of the household, Carl now aged 27 was present, but Hunter had most likely having flown the nest.
Also listed as living with the Bareham's was a boarder William and Clara's 89 year old mother Franciska Dietrich (of German origin).
Interestingly, Carl Frederick William Ross, serving as a Private in the King Edward's Horse was awarded the Military Medal during the operations at Cambria during the First World War, along with his WW1trio of medals.

Edward Preston Bareham died on 3rd January 1925 at Crouch End, Middlesex. He was living at 39 Kings Avenue, Muswell Hill. Probate was to his sister Harriet A. Bareham (spinster) and his stepson Carl Frederic William Ross (accountant). Effects £1097 18s. 6d.

He was just 60 years old at the time of his demise, a short life by modern standards. But I would say that he enjoyed an interesting life.

Note: many thanks to David (Smethwick) for forwarding the Census 1921 and MM information to me by PM.

THE BAREHAM BROTHERS; FAMILY MEDALS REUNITED 1 year 4 months ago #87766

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1884

Moranthorse1 wrote: Hi Mike,

The four names as follows:
War Office Clerk Macdonald W. R.
War Office Clerk Bareham E. P.
War Office Clerk Tate W.H.
War Office Clerk Pierce T.J.

Well worth knowing the names in case any of the other three turn up for sale.
Cheers Steve

Thanks Steve......

I was looking for this man......

www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...-j-huggett-cbe#73982

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.830 seconds