Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Trench Art 1 year 5 months ago #87407

• Rob D
  • Thank you received: 776
Dear Emma
for what it's worth:
the object at the top is a Boer Mauser cartridge with an expanding hunting bullet (illegal in war)
the larger brass shell case is from a pom-pom, probably Boer too
The little bullet soldered on at the bottom is a jacketed Boer Mauser bullet (legal military bullet)
Rob
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smethwick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Trench Art 1 year 5 months ago #87408

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 861
Emma - it is fascinating but does it have a use?

Wonder if that is an accurate representation of his signature - if so, it might facilitate his identification.

Regards, David.

Trench Art 1 year 5 months ago #87411

• Rob D
  • Thank you received: 776
I'm completely baffled as to its function - or is it just decorative?
Rob
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.

Trench Art 1 year 5 months ago #87414

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1542
Interested Forum members
I thought I had seen much larger versions of that Trench Art item described as coal scoops. To refresh my memory, an online check verified that. While not much coal could be scooped in the item under discussion, it could have been intended to scoop/dispense granular materiel like tea or sugar.
I have nothing at all to add regarding its naming.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob D

Trench Art 1 year 5 months ago #87426

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 861

Having summarily dismissed the Sapper I now wish to reoffer him up as a strong candidate for the creator of the trench art (possible grain dispenser).

Having now seen the object I think the creator is telling us he made it while serving in South Africa during the period 1900/01/02 and not that he finished it on 2nd January 1900.

25096 Sapper J Hawes (findable by a name search on this site) initially enlisted in June 1890 in the Northamptonshire Regiment and was given the regimental number 2712. He was called Joseph and aged 18 when he enlisted having been born in St Peter’s ??????, Lincolnshire. Significantly he gave his occupation as plumber. In 1890 plumbers worked in lead rather than copper/plastic as they do today. The trench art has only a small proportion of lead but it is vital to its construction and well- being.

In September 1890 Joseph transferred to the Royal Engineers and was given a new regimental number, 25096. He spent nearly 5 years and 8 months serving at home followed by 11 months in Gibraltar and 6 months in Malta. By now he had completed the 7 years of active service he had signed up for and he returned home and was discharged to the Army Reserve in July 1897.

During the above period of service he had medical issues but we will pass over those. He also improved his education and extended his skill set. In March 1891 he was awarded a 3rd Class Certificate of Education and improved that to a Second Class Certificate in April 1892. In October 1892 he passed a course in “Electric Lighting & Fusing Mines” – the word “Fusing” is in doubt but is my best interpretation of the scrawl. In January 1894 he became “skilled” in Telegraphy Lines. But perhaps his greatest achievement during this time was that he became a married man on 13th April 1895 when he married Louisa Rachel Kellett in no less than St George’s Church, Hanover Square, London (one of Sir Christopher Wren’s masterpieces following the devastation of the Great Fire of London). However, I have to put a damper on things as the appearance of the bride may have raised some eyebrows – their son, also called Joseph, was born on 28th May 1895.

By late 1899 Queen Vic, or rather her government, had realised the Boers were a formidable foe and she proclaimed that the Army Reserve should be recalled to active service. Joseph seems to have been a bit slow in responding to the call, which may not have been his fault, and returned to active service in March 1900. On 9th May 1900 Joseph set sail for South Africa and he did not set foot again on the soil of England until 28th August 1902. So he was definitely in South Africa during 1900, 1901 & 1902.

During the Second Boer War he served in the 38th Field Company of the Royal Engineers. I have no idea what the 38th did during the war but some of its members were involved in the Relief of Kimberley but that occurred before Joseph arrived in South Africa. After the war he was awarded the Queen’s South Africa Medal with “Cape Colony” and “Orange Free State” clasps attached and the King’s South Africa Medal with both the “South Africa 1901” & “South Africa 1902” clasps attached. On 30th August he returned to civilian life with no further obligation to the army.

However, you cannot keep an old soldier down and on 1st September 1914 at Doncaster James, now aged 42, once again offered his services to his monarch. After 3 months I presume the army decided he was not up to the rigours of trench warfare and he was placed in the “National Reserve” which I think means the Home Guard. By this time he and Louisa were living at 13 Elmfield Road, Doncaster. The paperwork also says they had one unnamed child. The paperwork also does not give the occupation of Joseph in 1914.

The only other information I can give about James comes from his death certificate a copy of which is included in his medical records. He died on 9th December 1949 aged 77 years and living at 19 Barnsdale Road, London W9 (about a mile west of Paddington Station). His occupation is given as “formerly Electrician”. His son “E. G. Hawes”, who lived at the same address, was present at his death and his death was very efficiently registered the day he died. The only words I can make out on the cause of death are “heart failure”.

Having written all this I do have to admit that his signature in either 1890 or 1914 do not match up in style with the signature on the trench art.

Update - I rather do hope I have identified the right man because I have just found him on 23 Public Family Trees on Ancestry one of which provides a photo and another has found him and increased family on 1911 Census & 1939 Register - they should also be findable on the 1921 Census - sadly none of the children seem to have had anything to do with Leominster which could have been construed as a match winner. Fuller update to follow in due course.
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.462 seconds