Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

12892 PRIVATE A.T. STEVENS: ROYAL ARMY MEDICAL CORPS. DIED AT SEA 1 year 6 months ago #86602

• Moranthorse1
  • Moranthorse1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 783
12892 Private A. T. Stevens served in South Africa with the Royal Army Medical Corps, and was entitled to the Queen's South Africa medal with clasps Natal and South Africa 1901.

Unfortunately, his attestation papers appear to have been destroyed by the powers that be and so I have very little further information on this medic.
From the basic life history that I have been able to find, Watt (2000) lists Private Stevens as having died of pneumonia aboard the hospital ship S.S. Avoca on the 24th January 1901.
As he died at sea, his body was committed to the ocean in the traditional manner. No doubt there would have been a ceremony conducted by a chaplain.

12892 Private A. T. Stevens is commemorated on the Royal Army Medical Corps Boer War Memorial at the top of Gun Hill, Aldershot, England.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Smethwick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12892 PRIVATE A.T. STEVENS: ROYAL ARMY MEDICAL CORPS. DIED AT SEA 1 year 6 months ago #86667

• Volunteer
  • Thank you received: 142
Some personal details to be found on Ancestry's Army Register of Soldiers' Effects
Ancestry indexer has mistaken the script upper case T for a Y and have him as A Y Stevens and his year of death as 1900
born Leyton Essex / enlisted 29.12.1899 / a clerk / father's name Arthur

An entry on Meurig's Anglo-Boer War Records records his prenames as Arthur Thomas of the 15th General Hospital RAMC

Pete
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

12892 PRIVATE A.T. STEVENS: ROYAL ARMY MEDICAL CORPS. DIED AT SEA 1 year 6 months ago #86668

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 861
I found this record on Find My Past:

First names Arthur Thomas
Last name Stevens
Service number 12892
Rank Private
Regiment 15 General Hospital Royal Army Medical Corps
Rolls WO100/222 page 11; WO100/225 page 245
Memorials Gun Hill Road. Memorial. RAMC, Aldershot, Hampshire, England
Event detail Died Enteric on 23/04/1901 at SS Avoca (Official casualty roll location: At Sea SS Avoca)
Event unit 15 General Hospital Royal Army Medical Corps
Event source SAFF
Event notes and pneumonia
Notes Death at Sea. QSA Clasps: N,SA01
Record set Anglo-Boer War Records 1899-1902

Casualty lists in newspapers in June 1901 gave his date of death as 21st April 1901.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.628 seconds