Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

A Photograph Album with 279 Photos taken during the ABW 1 year 8 months ago #84322

• Smethwick
  • Smethwick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 767
Whilst researching the Welsh Hospital in South Africa I stumbled across a photograph album held by the National Library of Wales and accessible on-line.

This link below takes you to a page of the on-line Dictionary of Welsh Biography or Y Bywgraffiadur Cymreig if you prefer. The page is about Professor Alfred William Hughes who was very much associated with the Welsh hospital.

biography.wales/article/s-HUGH-WLM-1861?...Type=nameSearch&lang []=en&sort=sort_name&order=asc&rows=12&page=4#?c=0&m=0&s=0&cv=0&manifest=https%3A%2F%2Fdamsssl.llgc.org.uk%2Fiiif%2F2.0%2F5184937%2Fmanifest.json&xywh=383%2C912%2C1900%2C1533

Having learnt more about the life of Professor Hughes scroll down to:

NLW: Casgliad J L Thomas: The late Professor Alfred Hughes King's College London

Casgliad = Album and J L Thomas was John Lynn Thomas one of the surgeons at the Welsh Hospital.

Click on the red writing and the page of the album bearing a photo of Professor Hughes in Pretoria will open before you. Clicking on the arrows will take you to the other 60+ pages of the album containing 279 photographs (not that I have counted them). The majority relate to the Welsh Hospital but a lot don’t (see below).

They are out of copyright but the National Library of Wales would like an acknowledgement if you use them.

However, there seems to be no way to download them – if anybody discovers something I have missed please let me know. What I do is find the page containing the photo I am interested in, go to full screen and blow the page up with some repositioning and do a screenshot followed by some cropping.

Hope this all makes sense & works for you – Enjoy.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Photograph Album with 279 Photos taken during the ABW 1 year 8 months ago #84334

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Smethwick,

That is a great find as it is quite well hidden away but what an archive of images.

Like you I cannot see a way to download the images.

The pictures have been scanned at a high resolution which is good.

Here is page 67, followed by the picture in the bottom right, the grave of Marion Lloyd.

Not all the images are as sharp

But some are excellent

Source: Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru – The National Library of Wales

If I have a free weekend, I will work through the images and add them to the site.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE, Moranthorse1, Clive Stone, Smethwick

A Photograph Album with 279 Photos taken during the ABW 1 year 8 months ago #84343

• Smethwick
  • Smethwick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 767
The grave of Marion Lloyd is fascinating because it is inscribed "Marian". Every reference I can find to her, including the St David's Cathedral Memorial, she is "Marion".

But you can find her on a number of Ancestry public family trees and from these it is without doubt that she started out life as Mary Ann Lloyd. As far as her parents were concerned at the time of the 1881 Census, when she was 16, she was still Mary Ann. So she must have adopted the diminutive of Marion/Marian when she became a free spirit. It strikes me the diminutive of Mary Ann is more likely to be Marian than Marion.

David - I have screenshot every page and then realised producing individual photos by cropping ended up with a much diminished resolution end product. So I reverted to the procedure described above. However, as you seem to have produced a high resolution copy of a page I will leave you to have a busy weekend at some time in the future . Regards, David (Smethwick).

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.949 seconds