Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

City Imperial Volunteers and Buckinghamshire Yeomanry 1 year 11 months ago #83048

• Debleville
  • Debleville's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello,
I'm new member and french and professionel. I am currently studying military career Henry Pelham Lee (1877–1953), an English engine pioneer .He served with the Royal Buckinghamshire Hussars during the Boer War. But, I would like to know if he was a City Imperial Volunteers ?
Thank you for your help. Best regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

City Imperial Volunteers and Buckinghamshire Yeomanry 1 year 11 months ago #83049

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Welcome to the forum.......

Here is what I found in Find My Past..... Mike

First name(s) Horace Pelham
Country Great Britain
Last name Lee
Literary references BRhodesia and After: S. H. GilbertDFIELD 91; The National Archives WO128. Imperial Yeomanry, Soldiers' Documents, South African War.
Service number 4869
Notes QSA Clasps: CC,OFS,T,SA01
Rank Trooper
Record set Anglo-Boer War Records 1899-1902
Regiment 37 (Buckinghamshire) Company 10 Battalion Imperial Yeomanry
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Rolls WO100/124
Subcategory Boer Wars
Year 1899-1902
Collections from Great Britain, UK None
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

City Imperial Volunteers and Buckinghamshire Yeomanry 1 year 11 months ago #83050

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hello Debleville
Welcome to the forum.
Following on from Mike's information, I have enclosed Horace's (Henry) attestation papers for his time in the 37th Company 10th Battalion Buckinghamshire Imperial Yeomanry.

Dave.......
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:

City Imperial Volunteers and Buckinghamshire Yeomanry 1 year 11 months ago #83051

• Debleville
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank You very Much

City Imperial Volunteers and Buckinghamshire Yeomanry 1 year 11 months ago #83052

• Debleville
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank You Very Much
Cordialy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

City Imperial Volunteers and Buckinghamshire Yeomanry 1 year 11 months ago #83101

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hello Debleville

Here are a few more details regarding Henry P Lee.
I have enclosed his medal rolls for you. He was entitled to a Queens South Africa medal with 4 clasps,  Orange Free State, Cape Colony, Transvaal and the 1901 date clasp. His military career seems to be only connected with the Anglo Boer War 1899 to 1902. His timings can be found on his attestation papers that I posted for you on the Forum. I believe he may have been in the 1st contingent of Imperial Yeomanry troops to arrive in South Africa.

His engineering skills certainly played a part regarding WW1.
See additional notes below and his obituary.

Henry ( Horace) Pelham Lee (1877-1953)

1877 July 19th. Baptised at Wandsworth All Saints, the son of Sydney Williams Lee, an architect, and his wife Letitia Frances

Educated at Bradford College in Kensington

Qualified as an electrical engineer in London

Pupil at W. H. Allen and Co

Worked at Daimler

1903 Started the Lee, Stroyer and Co business

1911 Living at Briarwood, Hillfield, Coventry: Horace Pelham Lee (age 38 born Putney), a Motor Engine Manufacture and Employer. With his wife (married eight years with three children - two living) Minnie Augusta Lee (age 29 born Crowland, Lincs.) and their sons Leonard Pelham Lee (age 7 born Coventry) and Leslie Horace Lee (age 6 born Coventry). Also his brother Sydney Burton Lee (age 38 born Putney), an Engineers Clerk and Motor Engine Builder. Also a visitor and one servant.

1917 Formed Coventry Climax

1953 January 28th. Obituary. Died at Coventry age 75.

Obituary.

We regret to have to record the death, on January 22nd, of Mr. Horace Pelham Lee, chairman and founder of Coventry Climax Engines, Ltd., Coventry.

Mr. Pelham Lee will be remembered by many engineers as one of the pioneers of this country's motor-car industry in the early years of this century.

Horace Pelham Lee was born in London in 1877, and was educated at Bradfield College. Following some electrical engineering training, he became a pupil at the works of W. H. Allen, Sons and Co., Ltd., Bedford, and upon the completion of his pupilage he was on active service in the Boer War.

After that war Mr. Lee worked for a period in the factory of the Daimler Company, and in 1903 he took some premises in East Street, Coventry, where he started business as a motor-car manufacturer under the name of Lee, Stroyer. The capital required for motor manufacturing, however, was more than was available, and the company therefore concentrated on the production of engines. But one of the few cars that were made in these works was successfully used by Mr. Pelham Lee to demonstrate his engines.

In 1914 the Lee, Stroyer Company provided engines for the tractors for Sir Ernest Shackleton's expedition, and during the first world war the company received contracts for generating sets used for searchlights.

In 1917 Mr. Pelham Lee formed Coventry Climax Engines, Ltd., which in the years that followed concentrated on the production of engines for the motor-car industry. With the changing policy of the motor-car industry, which led to motor-car manufacturers producing their own engines, Mr. Pelham Lee's company took up the manufacture of diesel engines and trailer fire pumps, and petrol-driven electric generating sets. Until a recent spell of ill-health, Mr. Pelham Lee continued an take an active part in the affairs of his company and made many business visits to overseas countries.

He became an associate member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers in 1905 and was elected to full membership in 1924.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.954 seconds